Are fake plants a bad idea?

Katiehu

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTH CAROLINA
I was thinking instead of using wallpaper I was going to cover the enclosure walls with fake plants. But I’m not sure if mine will eat it since their green. Don’t want to block him up.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just keep them above the tortoise to create cover like they would find in the wild. You can use wire to suspend them across the enclosure. BTW Pothos is very easy to grow and if you suspend it it does get eaten.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All of mine have always tried to eat fake plants.
Mine too. But I've used plenty of live plants that never got bitten. Go figure.
I see you're from my home state of South Carolina...Can you try some Kudzu? Or Concord or Muscadine vine?
It's all edible. And it's all free.
What type of tortoise?

Manchester
I’d maybe try just the one artificial plant and see how that goes. Mine has personally never even attempted to bite his, he mostly just used them for shade.

If it provides you with some peace of mind, I’d advise maybe buying the artificial fern type that you can rearrange the leaves on so that they’re out of reach but still decorative and providing shade? ExoTerra do some great ones of those.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I’d maybe try just the one artificial plant and see how that goes. Mine has personally never even attempted to bite his, he mostly just used them for shade.

If it provides you with some peace of mind, I’d advise maybe buying the artificial fern type that you can rearrange the leaves on so that they’re out of reach but still decorative and providing shade? ExoTerra do some great ones of those.
Keep them far away from any heat lamps.