Bufo species are toads, not frogs, and yes, they are poisonous if eaten. Secretions from glands on the sides of their head and from their "warts" can also irritate the skin.katelyn0974 said:I was cleaning my turts enclosure today and found three little frogs underneath the water bowl. Is it harmful if my little ones eat them? I think they are baby Bufo frogs. Yuck!
That's amazing. Add that to the box turtle's ability to eat poisonous mushrooms, and I think that makes them one of the world's super omnivores. Of course, eating all that stuff makes their flesh poisonous to people and other predators. It's no wonder they are so brightly colored. Like a lot of colorful animals, it's probably a warning to would-be predators to stay away.Saloli said:Terrapene are some of the few species that can consume Bufo (though technically speaking if you are in N.A. north of Mexico they are not Bufo but Anaxyrus). They are often consumed by them in the wild.