Are grasshoppers ok for my Russian?

Disney

Location (City and/or State)
N.W. PA
I have never fed my Russian tortoises any meat. I'm wondering if an occasional grasshopper would be safe for them to eat. My tortoises are wild caught.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never fed my Russian tortoises any meat. I'm wondering if an occasional grasshopper would be safe for them to eat. My tortoises are wild caught.
I wouldn't. Some species of grasshopper are toxic. Where are you getting the grass hoppers? Are you raising them to be sure they are "clean" and well fed?

Your russian doesn't need any meat or insects. Grow some alfalfa or add some Mazuri to the diet if you want more protein.

Disney

N.W. PA
Thanks. I would have used grasshoppers already prepared in a can or dehydrated by Exo Terra or Zoo Med.

Disney

N.W. PA
Yes, I know they are herbivores according to most articles I read. I can't help but wonder what a Russian tortoise would do if it came across an insect while grazing in the wild lol. Thanks for advice, though

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried offering bugs to some of my tortoises a few times over the years, just to see what they would do. None of the russians were ever interested.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My Russian tried to eat a mummified dead salamander he found in the yard. I took it away from him.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
My Russians have nibbles on worms on occasion. I don’t intentionally feed them the worms but they will eat them if I put them in the enclosure.