Are grinded non organic eggs safe as a source of calcium?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I'm going to start planting my own stuff and I hear egg shells are good for plant growth. WIll non organic eggshell harm my tortoise if I use them for my plants? also If I grind the egg shells into a fine dust do I just sprinkle them on their food?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hard boil eggs and crush them up with the shell, and feed it to my redfoot tortoises about once per week along with their weeds, fruit and veggies in a single meal.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ive done this as well. Used to put a mazuri pellet or two inside a half egg shell and our Sully would devour it all. Now, Sully just waits for a full large cuttle bone.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
My baby loves eggshells. I only recently started actually sprinkling some on her greens. But usually she will just eat the pieces that i hide around her table whenever she feels so inclined! Hmmm...that reminds me, I should make some hard boiled eggs.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
The the calcium in the shells of chicken' eggs are in a form that is not easily available, either as a food supplement, or as a soil amendment.
It would be better to buy a calcium supplement made specifically for reptiles, and use that. Be careful to select the right type of calcium with the correct form of Vitamin D for indoor or outdoor caged animals.
A better soil amendment would be ground oyster shells, or if that is not available, plain agricultural lime.
Interestingly, many tortoise species have been recorded eating or gnawing on bones, snail shells, and empty eggshells in their natural habitats.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
As I learned while in college some work harder to learn more faster . But good luck

Loritort

Thank you all. Seriously, I know I come off as a ***** sometimes but I'm just looking out for myself. I like being on here and I thank everyone for their posts/opinions. You are all great people. Ty!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Alternatively, egg shells make great garden compost! ;) My compost bin is mostly full of coffee grounds though; I'm quite the caffeine addict. :D I think this should provide your plants with some added calcium too?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
When I peel eggs I just toss the shells in my tortoise feeding area. Some go nuts for them, others ignore them, but they are always gone the next day.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I know nothing will happen ! But I'm afraid of the sharp edges , that's why I grind my egg shells . It's better to be safe I feel . But I'm not saying everybody has to grind them .

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I know nothing will happen ! But I'm afraid of the sharp edges , that's why I grind my egg shells . It's better to be safe I feel . But I'm not saying everybody has to grind them .

Once I realized my redfoots are snail munching machines I didn't worry about it. They are all at least 3lbs so they can handle it. I could see more cause for concern possibly in other sizes/species.