Are my humidity readings accurate?

Julian32122

Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo
Where is the ideal spot to put my humidity reader? It’s been at 99% for a while after I sprayed down my enclosure. The device itself is dry, but the reading has remained at 99% which I doubt is correct.

Where is a good spot to place it for accurate readings?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Its in a good spot just watch for the tort knocking it over. BTW the condensation on the walls is a good meter too ?

Julian32122

Vallejo
Got it :) and it’s not really condensation, just water droplets from me spraying the place down. I guess maybe that’s ramping up the humidity?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Where is the ideal spot to put my humidity reader? It’s been at 99% for a while after I sprayed down my enclosure. The device itself is dry, but the reading has remained at 99% which I doubt is correct.

Where is a good spot to place it for accurate readings?
Is that the actual temperature?

Julian32122

Vallejo
My thoughts exactly.
My thoughts exactly.
Oh, Dangit! I need to get a stronger heat bulb ASAP. For some reason, it hasn’t been heating up the rest of enclosure and that’s been bugging me. It’s only been for like a day though, so I’m gonna have to figure something out. Temps overnight are however 70+. I keep a ceramic heat emitter on throughout the night.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Oh, Dangit! I need to get a stronger heat bulb ASAP. For some reason, it hasn’t been heating up the rest of enclosure and that’s been bugging me. It’s only been for like a day though, so I’m gonna have to figure something out. Temps overnight are however 70+. I keep a ceramic heat emitter on throughout the night.
Yea, you really want to keep it above 80° at all times or sickness creeps in quickly. Seeing as your keeping it high humidity im assuming a tropical or forest species?

We have caresheets on all our babies and they can help you pick the right stuff to help you keep it in range ?

It looks like a closed chamber possibly, is that right or is it just the angle?

Julian32122

Vallejo
Yea, you really want to keep it above 80° at all times or sickness creeps in quickly. Seeing as your keeping it high humidity im assuming a tropical or forest species?

We have caresheets on all our babies and they can help you pick the right stuff to help you keep it in range ?

It looks like a closed chamber possibly, is that right or is it just the angle?
It’s a closed chamber for my 4-month old Russian tortoise. I usually keep the humidity around 80-85%. 99% was just because I had gone a little crazy spraying it down, but it’s back down now. I replaced the incandescent bulb with my ceramic heat emitter for now and the basking spot has gone from 91f to 100f so that’s good. Hoping this is enough to heat up the ambient temperature quite a bit. I read that Tom simply sets up a heat lamp and lets the natural gradient of that lamp set the ambient temperature for the rest of the enclosure so I plan on trying something similar.