Are my tortoises causing me to have skin conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

xKin

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Sorry for the bad wording of the title, but... that's basically my current issue.

I noticed that around the exact time I started handling tortoises, the skin on my inner thighs and entire legs, in general, began to itch. I shrugged it off as just in-the-moment itches, but it soon escalated to my torso and stomach. Both tortoises have an outside enclosure, and I feed them daily. Of course, I clean their enclosure and remove bad grass growing, water the plants growing, wash their water and food plates. And when I'm done, I wash my hands twice with soap. My tortoises don't walk on my legs or torso, so I have no idea why that'd ever happen, but I have the habit of resting my hands on my inner thighs or torso.

Honestly, I have no idea if it's just a really weird coincidence that my itchings began the exact same time (or about a week in advance before I got the tortoises). I saw a similar thread about this on here, but it dates back to 2012 and no-one ever elaborated or picked up on the subject again. I was hoping someone here could possibly help me out.

If it truly is my tortoises causing the skin problems, I have no idea what I'd do. Would I have to give them away? I would be very upset to, it's been nearly a year together with Leo and Lucky. (I remember getting my first tortoise Jan. 1st)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seems coincidental to me. Especially since it started before you got the tortoises.

I've never heard of anyone being allergic to any chelonian. Seems more likely that you have an allergy to a plant outside. You don't have poison ivy growing out there, do you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try wearing some rubber gloves when you care for the torts. Being very careful to not touch any part of your body with the gloves on. When your all done with the torts take the gloves off and throw them away. If you don't break out in a rash then it's probably the torts. My guess though is it's the weeds more then the torts. Anyway, wearing gloves and paying attention to not touch any part of your body with those gloves should take care of the problem.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I also think it's more likely that your skin irritation is from a plant and not the tort itself. Another possibility may be the substrate from the enclosure, what kind do you use?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Anyway, wearing gloves and paying attention to not touch any part of your body with those gloves should take care of the problem.
Not necessarily since allergens can also be inhaled or swallowed. But if touching something was the cause, I would expect it to occur on the hands first or maybe in the face since most people touch their faces much more than their legs.

Or are you kneeling more often in the lawn to watch or care for your torts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not necessarily since allergens can also be inhaled or swallowed. But if touching something was the cause, I would expect it to occur on the hands first or maybe in the face since most people touch their faces much more than their legs.

True, however, they did not mention their hands being affected. They did mention though they rest their hands on the legs and torso, the areas getting affected. Also more sensitive areas then the hands. Went with the symptoms they were describing not with how most allergies act in general.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I have severe allergies, and have never heard of allergies to reptiles. Most likely would be an allergy to the bedding or something else in the habitat. Good luck, and I hope you figure it out soon.

xKin

Miami, Florida
Seems coincidental to me. Especially since it started before you got the tortoises.

I've never heard of anyone being allergic to any chelonian. Seems more likely that you have an allergy to a plant outside. You don't have poison ivy growing out there, do you?

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot I made this threat >.> There's no poison ivy outside, and I don't touch any of the plants, just water them.

xKin

Miami, Florida
I also think it's more likely that your skin irritation is from a plant and not the tort itself. Another possibility may be the substrate from the enclosure, what kind do you use?

We used regular dirt from the yard, along with pebbles and another substrate I can't exactly remember. I've been having family members feed the tortoises, and my itching stopped almost instantly. Now i barely itch, so I don't really know what's the cause.

xKin

Miami, Florida

I don't kneel, if I want to sit on the ground, i usually sit on a small chair set outside in the yard and watch them wander from a distance. If I want to be near them, I'll squat, but never sit on the ground. As I replied to another before, I stopped going out to feed them, someone else in the family is feeding them now, and the itching stopped. So I really have no idea.

xKin

Miami, Florida
Interesting thoughts. Have you seen a dermatologist or GP?
Dermatologist doesn't tell me what I have, although this will be the fourth time in two months I'll visit the dermatologist, and they never tell me the issue with my skin. Next time I go, which is next week, I'll be asking for specific details on what I have.

xKin

Miami, Florida
True, however, they did not mention their hands being affected. They did mention though they rest their hands on the legs and torso, the areas getting affected. Also more sensitive areas then the hands. Went with the symptoms they were describing not with how most allergies act in general.

//sighs// yeah, i rest my hands on my legs (thighs, mainly) and torso, but my hands are fine. Sometimes I'll walk around the area barefoot (not the inside of the enclosure, though), but the soles of my feet are perfectly fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You aren't using fire ant granules are you?
Sorry if it seems like a stupid question. But I'm also in So. FLORIDA and had a similar incident where I had worked in an area of my pen that had previously been treated for fire ants. My tougher skinned hands were ok. But everything that I touched got a rash and burned.
That was before the TFO existed. By the way.

Reactions: Tom
Status
Not open for further replies.