Are my tortoises healthy ?

Sophietortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Curacao
Hello I’m a new turtle owner since December 2021 and got my turtles at a shop I don’t know if there living circumstances were great they were living in a glass terrarium with a lot of tortoises and as food they were given soaked cat food and a pringles lid as water bowl. I first also had mine (I have 2) in a glass terrarium but it was not for there whole life and I upgraded it now to big cage with a small water bowl a big water bowl that they also use for bathing a wooden house a cardboard out of their old home because I couldn’t find one a big house some stones so they can walk on them and a small litte couch I know it seem weird but they like it and I give them fresh food and fresh water every evening and I had forgotten sometimes but I dosent happend often but then they did still have water and food it was just not fresh and I’ve been wondering if they are healthy their not eating a lot I still have trouble with how much food to give them they did just poop one a big poop and one a small one of them dosent eat allot and dosent really grow here are some fotos please tell me if I do something wrong and oh yeah I soak them every 2 weeks but they also bath in their litte pool click on the photos to see better quality

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 3AF6C99C-BD18-4F3F-B358-4D000F8E902C.jpeg
    3AF6C99C-BD18-4F3F-B358-4D000F8E902C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 4A532405-E1BF-473A-8A2E-DEB56220ED9C.jpeg
    4A532405-E1BF-473A-8A2E-DEB56220ED9C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • B3922B71-BBA8-4462-90C2-228373A713DB.jpeg
    B3922B71-BBA8-4462-90C2-228373A713DB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to say if they are healthy they won't be for long.
They need a proper closed chamber enclosure while they are small. They need proper light/uvb and heat and humidity.
They need proper substrate and proper room.
If one is not doing to well, you should separate them into their own enclosure and likely the smaller one will grow better.
Please read the caresheet and closed chamber threads and do the much needed improvements asap.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, as @wellington has mentioned, that wire cage is NOT good for your tort's, they need to be in a enclosed environment to get the temp's and humidity up. Without that, their health can/will deteriorate. As far as feeding, they should be given as much food as they want (freely fed). They do not get overweight as mammals do, they are good at self regulation.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Additionally, without the proper temps and humidity, they will have trouble eating & digesting their food. They are cold blooded creatures and NEED heat, hydration and activity to process the food in their GI tract. In that Cage, you cannot get the temps up sufficiently & safely enough to give them the warmth they need.
Also, since they are young, they need regular soaks, every 2 weeks is nowhere often enough.
Soaking for 5 or 6 times a week for 20 to 30 min should be more like what is needed. It helps them stay hydrated ( a dehydrated tort is NOT a good thing).

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
(Sophie) By the way, Welcome to TFO (Tortoise Forum) You and Turbo have come to the right place. There are a LOT of very smart Tort & Turtle folks here.
Way smarter than I.
I lean something new every day here.
I think I can say . . .were glad your here, and ask questions, we are all here because we love these little one's and want to do the best for them . .
Once again, welcome!
Marsha.....(MenagerieGrl)

Sophietortoises

Curacao
Yes, as @wellington has mentioned, that wire cage is NOT good for your tort's, they need to be in a enclosed environment to get the temp's and humidity up. Without that, their health can/will deteriorate. As far as feeding, they should be given as much food as they want (freely fed). They do not get overweight as mammals do, they are good at self regulation.
Oh okay but I do want to mention I live in Curacao it is very warm here most likely from 25-32 degrees and the moist in the air can be very high I do have a warmth lamp if it get colder I don’t know if this still changes stuff but thanks for letting me know

Sophietortoises

Curacao
I also don’t know what to use as substrate many people have eco earth but we don’t have eco earth in the stores here is it also good to use soil if not let me know if there are any other options I really want to do my best keeping them healthy and feel loved and feeling being taken care of

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I also don’t know what to use as substrate many people have eco earth but we don’t have eco earth in the stores here is it also good to use soil if not let me know if there are any other options I really want to do my best keeping them healthy and feel loved and feeling being taken care of
Coir, or Fine Orchid Bark (Fir Bark)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Please read the caresheet.
@ZEROPILOT Might be able to help you more.
I've been monitoring this post and I don't have much additional to add. Except for the location of the OP.
Is there any way you can house these Redfoot outdoors? At least for the warmest days.
They need UVB light. And sunlight is free. No need to buy anything. They need high humidity. Again. You've got that too.
They need temperatures of between 77° and 90°f. With my target temperature being 84°f 24/7. Outside They can be kept on grass or grass and soil. Nothing to buy there either.
That open cage...Kept indoors is not suitable for them.
They need to be kept separately as has already been stated.
They also need a varied diet.Redfoot can eat things that most other species can't and that makes finding them food pretty easy. The eat green leafy vegetable matter. Flowers. Fruit. Mushrooms. Almost any fresh uncooked and un processed food that your family is eating. You can feed a Redfoot.
For example. Mine ate a few shrimp and some squash and zucchini today (with some hibiscus flowers and leaves) because I was preparing these things for dinner.
That cat food is actually OK too. But it should never be a primary part of the menu. Mix it up. Use what you have. Grow some food. Find some of it locally. It's everywhere once you know what to look for.

Now. If keeping them outside isn't an option. Do a search for closed chamber enclosures. You'll need to make on (two) or find something that you can use as one.
Your tortoises are at a critical stage in life. Some action is required.

We're here to help and welcome to the TFO

Sophietortoises

Curacao
I've been monitoring this post and I don't have much additional to add. Except for the location of the OP.
Is there any way you can house these Redfoot outdoors? At least for the warmest days.
They need UVB light. And sunlight is free. No need to buy anything. They need high humidity. Again. You've got that too.
They need temperatures of between 77° and 90°f. With my target temperature being 84°f 24/7. Outside They can be kept on grass or grass and soil. Nothing to buy there either.
That open cage...Kept indoors is not suitable for them.
They need to be kept separately as has already been stated.
They also need a varied diet.Redfoot can eat things that most other species can't and that makes finding them food pretty easy. The eat green leafy vegetable matter. Flowers. Fruit. Mushrooms. Almost any fresh uncooked and un processed food that your family is eating. You can feed a Redfoot.
For example. Mine ate a few shrimp and some squash and zucchini today (with some hibiscus flowers and leaves) because I was preparing these things for dinner.
That cat food is actually OK too. But it should never be a primary part of the menu. Mix it up. Use what you have. Grow some food. Find some of it locally. It's everywhere once you know what to look for.

Now. If keeping them outside isn't an option. Do a search for closed chamber enclosures. You'll need to make on (two) or find something that you can use as one.
Your tortoises are at a critical stage in life. Some action is required.

We're here to help and welcome to the TFO
Okay sounds good I’m getting a outside house it this house it’s open but they still be protected from any animals because we have allot of wild animals here they will be one the grass it’s not super big but they don’t have bigger and as they grow we will build new ones and bigger ones so we will keep the house they have now for the night because it dosent sit right with me when there alone at night without being watched I’ll give a update when I’ll get it this week and again thank you so much for helping me !

Last edited:

Sophietortoises

Curacao
Also here’s what i feed them and how I take care of them if there’s any wrong with what I do please tell me

Food (I never give them any seeds/pits
-Cucumber
-tomato
-lettuce
-celery
-broccoli
-thin slices of carrot
-sometimes watermelon
-Ready made turtles food from the store
And some more

I bath and soak the every 2 weeks and clean their cage one a week refresh their food every evening

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
One word of advice, More warm water soaks . . e/o day for about 30 min, with the water up to the edge between the Plastron & Carapace, head above water and supervised...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I also live in the Caribbean. Watch out for dogs, cats, rats, mongoose, possums etc. Cover the outside enclosure with strong chicken wire, and put boards over two thirds of that. Cover completely with a tarpaulin at night or put them in an indoor closed chamber every night. Give them opuntia cactus pads, dandelions, hibiscus leaves and flowers, wetted dog food pellets, pumpkin leaves and flowers. Nice big shallow soaking pool.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Use cement building blocks to make the walls of the outdoor enclosure. Just build it right in the dirt or grass in your yard if the grass has not been sprayed with any pesticides. You can put banana tree leaves in there for humidity and hiding spaces, or pumpkin leaves, coconut tree branch etc. Watch for ants, very important as ants can really hurt or even kill these tiny tortoises.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i agree with keeping him outside , with all the precautions mentioned .......properly set up safe outside enclosure is always better ........ i would be careful keeping him in a closed chamber in your climate , to hot for extended periods of time will kill them ............. i believe those tortoises are native to at minimum your climate type if not your island .....

MsBijou

5 Year Member
(Sophie) By the way, Welcome to TFO (Tortoise Forum) You and Turbo have come to the right place. There are a LOT of very smart Tort & Turtle folks here.
Way smarter than I.
I lean something new every day here.
I think I can say . . .were glad your here, and ask questions, we are all here because we love these little one's and want to do the best for them . .
Once again, welcome!
Marsha.....(MenagerieGrl)
Hello I’m a new turtle owner since December 2021 and got my turtles at a shop I don’t know if there living circumstances were great they were living in a glass terrarium with a lot of tortoises and as food they were given soaked cat food and a pringles lid as water bowl. I first also had mine (I have 2) in a glass terrarium but it was not for there whole life and I upgraded it now to big cage with a small water bowl a big water bowl that they also use for bathing a wooden house a cardboard out of their old home because I couldn’t find one a big house some stones so they can walk on them and a small litte couch I know it seem weird but they like it and I give them fresh food and fresh water every evening and I had forgotten sometimes but I dosent happend often but then they did still have water and food it was just not fresh and I’ve been wondering if they are healthy their not eating a lot I still have trouble with how much food to give them they did just poop one a big poop and one a small one of them dosent eat allot and dosent really grow here are some fotos please tell me if I do something wrong and oh yeah I soak them every 2 weeks but they also bath in their litte pool click on the photos to see better quality

Talkinturtles

Millcreek, utah
Also here’s what i feed them and how I take care of them if there’s any wrong with what I do please tell me

Food (I never give them any seeds/pits
-Cucumber
-tomato
-lettuce
-celery
-broccoli
-thin slices of carrot
-sometimes watermelon
-Ready made turtles food from the store
And some more

I bath and soak the every 2 weeks and clean their cage one a week refresh their food every evening
All of those foods mentioned should only be given rarely. They are not good foods for redfoots. Give them cactus pads, squash, spring mix like leafy greens, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion greens, pumpkin, bell pepper, sweet potato, any type of cactus, mango, pineapple, hibiscus flowers (many types of flowers are great for tortoises), clover, Bermuda grass, orchard hay, 5% protein like boiled chicken with nothing added, hard boiled egg. It may take a while for him to like new foods. Chop them into tiny pieces and mix with what he likes. Phase out those foods you are feeding him slowly and keep adding things that are good for him.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Just to add or repeat one thing to please make sure they cannot dig out from under their enclosure. Most tortoises are great diggers.;)