are non organic plants safe to feed?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I'm wondering if spider plants, boston ferns and bromeliads from garden centres safe to feed as long as I was the dirt and the leafs properly. I want to plant it in my hermanns enclosure.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
No.
They will invariably be sprayed with all sorts of things and many of the chemicals will be in the cells of the plants themselves, not just on the leaves.
If you do buy these plants it will be months before they are safe to feed. Systemic pesticides may not be cleared for as long as a year.
You're better off starting from seeds.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
No.
They will invariably be sprayed with all sorts of things and many of the chemicals will be in the cells of the plants themselves, not just on the leaves.
If you do buy these plants it will be months before they are safe to feed. Systemic pesticides may not be cleared for as long as a year.
You're better off starting from seeds.
what about the food you buy from super markets are non organic safe?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ferns are all toxic. Not sure about Bromeliads, but I know at least some are toxic. Spider plants are safe, but as Adam pointed out, any "decorative" plant you buy in a store or garden center will be grown with systemic pesticides.

As far as regular tortoise foods, there is no need to buy "organic" labeled stuff. If its safe for you, its safe for your tortoise. In all my years, I've never fed any of the more expensive organic greens and I've raised hundreds of tortoises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
what about the food you buy from super markets are non organic safe?
If the product is safe for Human consumption, it should be alright for your tortoise (if it's on the list of tortoise foods obviously, I'm not talking about baked beans and beer). So spring mix and so on are fine.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Ferns are all toxic. Not sure about Bromeliads, but I know at least some are toxic. Spider plants are safe, but as Adam pointed out, any "decorative" plant you buy in a store or garden center will be grown with systemic pesticides.

As far as regular tortoise foods, there is no need to buy "organic" labeled stuff. If its safe for you, its safe for your tortoise. In all my years, I've never fed any of the more expensive organic greens and I've raised hundreds of tortoises.
The tortoise table labels ferns are safe to feed :O is this an error?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the product is safe for Human consumption, it should be alright for your tortoise (if it's on the list of tortoise foods obviously, I'm not talking about baked beans and beer). So spring mix and so on are fine.
My tortoises can't have beer???

Man, I don't want to be the one to tell them. Maybe I'll send a text instead...

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
There are more than 10,000 species of ferns as well as many plants that look like ferns.
Many of these are toxic, many we don't know if they are or not, but i wouldn't experiment and if you just enter 'fern' into the Tortoise Table it will agree.
The Boston Fern is the exception, but if you get it from a garden centre it will still be chemically treated and probably unsafe and you must be absolutely certain that it is a boston fern.
Not worth the risk, for me.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what other plants do you suggest for an indoor enclosure?

Nothing I've ever tried worked for me. It either gets trampled or eaten, or it doesn't get enough light, so I don't bother. I spend my time making the outdoor enclosures look nice and growing plants out there. That is where my tortoises spend most of their lives. Indoors is just to get babies started for a year or two here in my climate.

AmberD

Ontario
If you know anyone who has a garden that doesn't use pesticides etc you could get plants from there. I have a hosta and hen and chicks growing in my indoor as my baby is only 6 months. Could get some of that testudo mix (may have not spelled that right) which is seeds that grow into weeds safe for tortoises :)

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
If you know anyone who has a garden that doesn't use pesticides etc you could get plants from there. I have a hosta and hen and chicks growing in my indoor as my baby is only 6 months. Could get some of that testudo mix (may have not spelled that right) which is seeds that grow into weeds safe for tortoises :)
how long do they take to grow?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
what other plants do you suggest for an indoor enclosure?
My choices for indoor enclosure plants:
Pathos ivy - the easiest to grow indoors in low light. It thrives and will grow long runners you can hang all over
Boston fern - does well and creates a favorite overhanging fronds for the torts to hide under.
Spider plant - another that does real well in low light
Prayer plant- does well but will burn easily if too close under the heat basking light or CHE

MangoKing

Columbus, Ohio
Nephrolepis exaltata aka boston fern is safe to use in enclosures from everything i have read.
It is also my understanding that bromaliads are safe. Tortiose table lists the family Bromeliaceae and the air plants, Tillandsia, as safe.
I know most bromaliads are supposed to be safe for cats and dogs as well. Bromiliaceae Neoregalia at least i have always heard was safe.