Are Sunflowers safe for sulcatas?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
The flowers? Or the leaves?

Leaves are fine in moderation; I'm not sure about the flowers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have an abundance of sunflowers around my house are they safe for him to eat?

Are you absolutely sure they are sunflowers? There is a wild plant that looks very similar, but if I recall, it is not edible.

If it really is sunflowers, then yes the leaves and flowers are safe to feed to your tortoise.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Are you absolutely sure they are sunflowers? There is a wild plant that looks very similar, but if I recall, it is not edible.

If it really is sunflowers, then yes the leaves and flowers are safe to feed to your tortoise.
Jerusalem artichoke is a plant very similar to a sunflower in looks. If
memory serves me right, they are from the Mediterranean region and are grown as as tubular food like a potato.
As for edible for a tortoise or not, I'm sorry I can't be of any help here for you though. This is a cut and paste from "TheTortoiseTable". Understand, the table tends to error on the side of caution;
Feed in Moderation
English Name: Jerusalem Artichoke (Sunroot)
Latin Name: Helianthus tuberosus
Family Name: Asteraceae/Compositae
As a member of the Sunflower family, this plant can quickly accumulate nitrates from the soil (especially if fed with artificial fertilisers). Nitrates are known to be toxic to cattle, so although the plant itself is safe, it is not one to offer to your tortoise on a regular basis.

Although the tubers are regularly eaten by humans, the leaves and flowers are the only parts you should feed to your tortoise. See also Sunflower.

Do not confuse with Globe Artichoke, which is a completely different plant.
Hope this helps you.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England