Are the shells of my 2 tortoises pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Younes

5 Year Member
Hello, are the shells of my 2 tortoises healthy? I don't know if they're pyramiding or not. I give them a diet of plantain, dandelion and other plants. Occasionally I give them romaine lettuce if I run out of other plants. Every week i give them korvimin. I have heat lamps and UV lamps. And when the sun shines i let them outside.

If they are in a early stage of pyramiding what can I do about it? Or is to late :(?

I don't know the exact species but they're from North Africa.

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
They are already pretty heavily pyramided especially the second picture.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
Check the links that Tom has regarding humidity, diet, temps, etc. This will help with the pyramiding.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Yes, both show pyramided growth. Contributing factors can be an environment too consistently dry, excessive heat (dryness), diet and a combination of these and other factors. Are you certain that they are North African species? North African Testudo have some different requirements than do Middle Eastern Testudo than do Northern Mediterranean species. So it can be very important to be certain what region of their vast geographical range that your tortoises originate from. Could you post more photos of them? Especially from straight above their carapaces and a straight view of their plastrons.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RuthJanice said:
Check the links that Tom has regarding humidity, diet, temps, etc. This will help with the pyramiding.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but my info mostly pertains to sulcatas and leopards. GB is the expert on all things Testudo.

Younes

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Yes, both show pyramided growth. Contributing factors can be an environment too consistently dry, excessive heat (dryness), diet and a combination of these and other factors. Are you certain that they are North African species? North African Testudo have some different requirements than do Middle Eastern Testudo than do Northern Mediterranean species. So it can be very important to be certain what region of their vast geographical range that your tortoises originate from. Could you post more photos of them? Especially from straight above their carapaces and a straight view of their plastrons.

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
I have to correct Tom on this: "GB is the expert on all things Testudo.", should really say something more like: "GB has experience with Testudo."

Please, no one refer to me as an "expert" in anything! I"ve kept, raised and bred a number of Testudo species over the years, I know what has worked for me and am just trying to pass it on so others don't have to make the same mistakes. That does not make me an expert. Just a guy who has worked out some of the "bugs".

Younes

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I have to correct Tom on this: "GB is the expert on all things Testudo.", should really say something more like: "GB has experience with Testudo."

Please, no one refer to me as an "expert" in anything! I"ve kept, raised and bred a number of Testudo species over the years, I know what has worked for me and am just trying to pass it on so others don't have to make the same mistakes. That does not make me an expert. Just a guy who has worked out some of the "bugs".

I posted some pictures, I adjusted the heat lamp and I'm keeping the the humidity high.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
the substrate should NOT be those wood chips you are using, because they don't hold any humidity at all.
Please post more pics of your enclosure. Humidity, hydration and heat are the most important things to keeping pyramiding to a minimum. I would switch over to eco-earth, cypress mulch or something like that. Make sure to get a good misting bottle and get the substrate damp at least every day.

Welcome to TFO!:D

Younes

5 Year Member
tortoise007 said:
the substrate should NOT be those wood chips you are using, because they don't hold any humidity at all.
Please post more pics of your enclosure. Humidity, hydration and heat are the most important things to keeping pyramiding to a minimum. I would switch over to eco-earth, cypress mulch or something like that. Make sure to get a good misting bottle and get the substrate damp at least every day.

Welcome to TFO!:D

Thank you for your advise i'm switching to eco earth.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1369115526.246605.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Humidity, hydration and heat are the most important things to keeping pyramiding to a minimum.

:D While humidity and proper temps ARE important, diet---exercise---natural sunlight are equally important....not just high humidity...:D

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria

Younes

5 Year Member
tortoise007 said:
Glad I could help! Do you keep both tortoises in there? even if there is only one in there, it is to small. An adequate size tub or tank for only one should be no less than 2' by 4'. I would like you to check out all these threads here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66977.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66801.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-70438.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-661.html

Thanks for the threads. I'm thinking of getting another box and creating the same setup as you. :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
Humidity, hydration and heat are the most important things to keeping pyramiding to a minimum.

:D While humidity and proper temps ARE important, diet---exercise---natural sunlight are equally important....not just high humidity...:D

I totally agree with this. The three components of hydration are important (hydration, soil moisture and ambient air humidity) as well as temperatures being not too cold but also not too hot. But, there are other factors that go along with the above that are equally important to a tortoise's good growth including a correct diet, enough space to be active as well as correct lighting. While there are good artificial lights, it's really tough to beat natural sunlight, fresh air and being exposed to all things outdoors for a tortoise. After all, that is their element, the outdoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.