Are the turtle source or red foot ranch reliable vendors?

Jasminemmm

Location (City and/or State)
Schaumburg, IL
Hi everyone,

I have never raised any tortoise in the past, so I am a completely newbie. I have been wanting to get a tortoise and when I search the turtle for sales online, the turtle source website was the first one to come up. I also found the red foot ranch from a YouTube video. Has anyone in this forum dealt with these two vendors? do you recommend me to buy from them?

If none of the above two vendors are reliable, can anyone recommend a good source to purchase red foot tortoise?

Also, I am shopping for the indoor enclosure. I live in Chicago area and there is no way I can keep the tortoise outside during the winter. Does anyone recommend EXO TERRA GLASS NATRUAL TERRARIUM KIT? should I use the glass container as red foot tortoise habitat?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi everyone,

I have never raised any tortoise in the past, so I am a completely newbie. I have been wanting to get a tortoise and when I search the turtle for sales online, the turtle source website was the first one to come up. I also found the red foot ranch from a YouTube video. Has anyone in this forum dealt with these two vendors? do you recommend me to buy from them?

If none of the above two vendors are reliable, can anyone recommend a good source to purchase red foot tortoise?

Also, I am shopping for the indoor enclosure. I live in Chicago area and there is no way I can keep the tortoise outside during the winter. Does anyone recommend EXO TERRA GLASS NATRUAL TERRARIUM KIT? should I use the glass container as red foot tortoise habitat?
For Redfoot I recommend
SOUTHERN REPTILES
@Southernreptiles here on the forum. Or on FACEBOOK or on the website.
Or at the very least, another TFO member with others vouching for them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for the speedy response! I will check them out.
do you have any recommended breeder for Hermanns Tortoise?
No.
Sorry.
Although its possible that SOUTHERN REPTILES also has them. I'm just not sure.
You'd be relatively safe if you bought a tortoise from any of our great, established members.

Skip K

Virginia
Not sure if this is an aberration...but we got three baby Sulcatas..two at one time and one a month + later ( as a replacement for a problem Sulcata earlier )....from the Turtle Source and they all were extremely dehydrated. One passed a huge urate stone and had a deformed shell and leg issue. Their customer service is good though and sent me the third Sulcata when I emailed them about the one problem Sulcata. But as mentioned...it was dehydrated as well. Now the problem Sulcata...which they told me to keep...still has the problem shell and leg but I’ve reduced substantially the urate issue with him and is growing though the shell misshapedness will probably never change and what issues the problem leg will have when the tort is heavy..well. But the others don’t pass urates at all anymore. They are healthy, active and growing...but not as large as they should be at their age. Which probably ties in with the dehydration. Long term effects...I just have to wait and see

Last edited:
Fresno, Ca
Thanks for the speedy response! I will check them out.
do you have any recommended breeder for Hermanns Tortoise?
I got my hermanns from Arizona tortoise compound, and would use him again. Nice healthy babies. But I’m not as experienced as some of the others around here ?

Jasminemmm

Schaumburg, IL
Not sure if this is an aberration...but we got three baby Sulcatas..two at one time and one a month + later ( as a replacement for a problem Sulcata earlier )....from the Turtle Source and they all were extremely dehydrated. One passed a huge urate stone and had a deformed shell and leg issue. Their customer service is good though and sent me the third Sulcata when I emailed them about the one problem Sulcata. But as mentioned...it was dehydrated as well. Now the problem Sulcata...which they told me to keep...still has the problem shell and leg but I’ve reduced substantially the urate issue with him and is growing though the shell misshapedness will probably never change and what issues the problem leg will have when the tort is heavy..well. But the others don’t pass urates at all anymore. They are healthy, active and growing...but not as large as they should be at their age. Which probably ties in with the dehydration. Long term effects...I just have to wait and see
Sorry to hear one of your sulcata still has issues. Thanks a lot for sharing your story with me~~