Are There Any Side-Effects In Hydrotherapy?

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Good morning everyone,

This maybe a silly question but are there any side-effects in daily hydrotherapy?

MaNaAk

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, none that I could think of or heard of. I have done it for a few months on a rescue. It worked wonders and the guy walks great and very fast for a tort. It's the same as soaking daily but your making the tort move to improve its legs.
Once the tort has fully improved and is walking normal or if done for 6 months to a year and only a certain amount of improvement has been made then that might be all they will improve. Either way the therapy isn't needed at those two results.

MaNaAk

Southend
No, none that I could think of or heard of. I have done it for a few months on a rescue. It worked wonders and the guy walks great and very fast for a tort. It's the same as soaking daily but your making the tort move to improve its legs.
Once the tort has fully improved and is walking normal or if done for 6 months to a year and only a certain amount of improvement has been made then that might be all they will improve. Either way the therapy isn't needed at those two results.
Thankyou @wellington

Still watching Daisy's weight as she is benefiting
MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
What do you mean by "hydrotherapy"?
I've been giving Daisy daily soaks as I'm concerned about her weight compared to Jacky's and seeming to drag her back legs. I've noticed that she is now more active and her weight is slowly going in the right direction. Her limbs are fatter than Jacky's and I've noticed fat or a lump around her neck. What was weird was that I noticed the lump on her neck looking better at lunchtime after eating dandelions rather than in the morning when she hadn't eaten anything! I am monitoring this and if I notice any worrying changes in the lump I will phone a vet. However at the moment I think it is due to her weight and her not being able to hibernate. Therefore I need to act quite quickly if she is to be treated before going into hibernation.

MaNaAk

PS: I'm watching her diet as well. Apart from this she is okay.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A tortoise doesn't get over weight unless it doesn't have a proper sized enclosure.
If she put on weight because she wasn't walking properly and therefore not walking much then that would also be a reason for weight gain
Be sure they have proper size enclosure and with her walking getting better, that a lone should take care of the weight problem, if it's really a problem.
You shouldn't really compare one tort to another as they all grow different. A Male usually is smaller then a female. One could be started better then the other. One could have been bullied. Those are a few examples of what can affect size differences.

MaNaAk

Southend
A tortoise doesn't get over weight unless it doesn't have a proper sized enclosure.
If she put on weight because she wasn't walking properly and therefore not walking much then that would also be a reason for weight gain
Be sure they have proper size enclosure and with her walking getting better, that a lone should take care of the weight problem, if it's really a problem.
You shouldn't really compare one tort to another as they all grow different. A Male usually is smaller then a female. One could be started better then the other. One could have been bullied. Those are a few examples of what can affect size differences.
The size of the enclosure is a factor because the flat that I had was too small for a bigger. Now that I have moved it's more noticeable because she has more room but I think she's heading in the right direction and I am monitoring her. I just love them they have seen me through so much.

MaNaAk

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can we see some pics, of the lump in particular?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I see "hydrotherapy" I think of the tortoise being placed in deep water under supervision and allowed to paddle around and exercise its' legs. Of course, if the tortoise doesn't float, but sinks, hydrotherapy cannot be accomplished with that tortoise.

MaNaAk

Southend
When I see "hydrotherapy" I think of the tortoise being placed in deep water under supervision and allowed to paddle around and exercise its' legs. Of course, if the tortoise doesn't float, but sinks, hydrotherapy cannot be accomplished with that tortoise.
She drinks and paddles. I'm at work at the moment but will try and get some good pics later.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
She drinks and paddles. I'm at work at the moment but will try and get some good pics later.

MaNaAk
I think the ideal solution would be an inflatable rubber ring or lifejacket. !! I can just imagine her paddling about at full tortoise speed, and having lots of fun. You wouldn't even need to watch her all the time.
Sorry, I'm sort of joking, but I wonder if such things exist ? A polystyrene float under her plastron, maybe ?
Angie

MaNaAk

Southend
I think the ideal solution would be an inflatable rubber ring or lifejacket. !! I can just imagine her paddling about at full tortoise speed, and having lots of fun. You wouldn't even need to watch her all the time.
Sorry, I'm sort of joking, but I wonder if such things exist ? A polystyrene float under her plastron, maybe ?
Angie
Good idea.IMG20220705185017.jpgIMG20220705184842.jpgIMG20220705184818.jpg
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually if you place just a couple fingers under them if they sink it still works. You are just holding them up not doing the work for them. Eventually they start to swim and not sink. At least my leopard did.

MaNaAk

Southend
I did notice it a short while ago but I monitored it alongwith her weight and behaviour. With Daisy's soaking I watch the depth and temperature of the water but I have that if I put her back legs against the side of the tub this forces her to swim and lift her head and shell up which is good. I am determined for her to be able to hibernate this year and I am finding my new friends here wonderful.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Well, I should think that's a good sign. Is it possible that it has been like that for some time, and you've only just noticed it ?
The lump that she on her paw last was squashy and that was an inflamed joint. I was very relieved at that point.

MaNaAk

Southend
Just got in and looked at Daisy and she looks okay. I am going to see what she's like over the weekend and then I am going to call the vet.

MaNaAk