Are these any useful to the tortoise world lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Saw these for 4/$1 thought it was cheap any uses? ImageUploadedByTortForum1369236548.641115.jpg

My tortoise Peach hates apples

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Maybe if you have a planted enclosure, they might help the plants. If anything, they could brighten the enclosure.

Spn785 said:
No, CFL bulbs can hurt a tortoise's eyes.

Cancel my info. I hadn't realized these were coils.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Yea they are Coil but covered with a thick plastic outer layer of some kind

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Still I wouldn't risk it. If I can see that it is a coil bulb through the plastic and packaging then the light from it will probably still be damaging. (I'm legally blind which is why I say that.)

haidao88

5 Year Member
Sounds good thanks for the advice, I just wasn't too sure, I Alrdy have a good light setup I believe, but I have come to realize after owning a tortoise I tend to lookout for random things whenever going anywhere putting ideas together for an ever more improving environment.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
haidao88 said:
Sounds good thanks for the advice, I just wasn't too sure, I Alrdy have a good light setup I believe, but I have come to realize after owning a tortoise I tend to lookout for random things whenever going anywhere putting ideas together for an ever more improving environment.

That is good. I do the same thing. :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Spn785 said:
Still I wouldn't risk it. If I can see that it is a coil bulb through the plastic and packaging then the light from it will probably still be damaging. (I'm legally blind which is why I say that.)

This logic makes no sense. Glass and plexi are see through as well. Doesn't stop them from blocking UV.

I doubt that bulb would pose a significant risk.

theelectraco said:
Also 14 watts won't do much for heat anyways.

That's one of the biggest benefits of using fluorescent lights, I don't see why you assume it's a drawback. They are good for ambient light without heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whether I was looking for heat, light, or UV, this is not the bulb I would choose.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Yea lol I run a powersun and a Che so I know I don't need. But the forum is so useful never hurts to ask for opinions

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
On the CFL bulbs, we have them in the house, but they are at 10 feet up. The habitat won't have them though, is that a problem or will I be ok. I can replace them all (which would stink as I just got them) if I have too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sterling Thunder said:
On the CFL bulbs, we have them in the house, but they are at 10 feet up. The habitat won't have them though, is that a problem or will I be ok. I can replace them all (which would stink as I just got them) if I have too.

Should be fine. It's the UV ones mounted inches from the reptile that cause the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.