are these different dandelion strains or subspecies?

Philocacti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Egypt
I believe the 1st one is a dandelion.

But is the second one also a dandelion? Or do they have to have segmented leaves?

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 29

Philocacti

5 Year Member
Egypt
Oops,
Here's the second one

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 29

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I believe the 1st one is a dandelion.

But is the second one also a dandelion? Or do they have to have segmented leaves?

The first one is sow thistle. Its great tortoise food as part of a varied diet.

I'm not sure what the second one is. I think it is "dock". If I'm correct, it is not edible for tortoises. @Yvonne G probably knows the second one. Yvonne, Is that dock?

Philocacti, lease go in to your user profile and put in your location. We hate having to guess, and you can get better advice that way too.

Philocacti

5 Year Member
Egypt
Thanks a lot Tom,

Never heard of this sow thistle before, will read about it.

I uprooted them carefully, and planted them. Hopefully they'll take and start growing. If they do I'll update pics of the flowers.

The second one has 2 stalks with little flower buds. Most people in the country side collect them and feed them to their ducks and geese.

Hopefully, Yvonne can identify it.
Thanks again.

I put my location, I'm from Egypt.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I'm not sure about the other one either, maybe if we saw the flowers.

Sow thistle is a close relative to dandelion--you're right about the notched leaves. It's very easy to grow from seed, if this one doesn't transplant well. Just wait for a plant to have the white fluffy seeds, put them in an envelope or something where they can get a little air while they dry out completely. You can plant the seeds (not very deep) before the next rainy season.

Philocacti

5 Year Member
Egypt
Thanks Rosemary :)

I left a few plants in the patch I found, just in case they ones I uprooted wouldn't make it.

Once I see flowers, I'll put a piece of pantyhose over it, so the seeds won't disperse. I didn't know I had to let the seeds dry out, before planting. Thanks :)

We don't have a rainy season here. Dandelion and plants like it do much better in the winter here than summers.