Are these mushrooms toxic?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I am in the Pacific northwest. It has been a very wet spring. These are everywhere in my yard. I mow my yard with a push mower, and feed the clipping to a Sulcata and my leopards. I pick out the mushrooms, but a how concerned do I need to be about missing the tiny pieces?
0617171007.jpg 0617171007a.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I am in the Pacific northwest. It has been a very wet spring. These are everywhere in my yard. I mow my yard with a push mower, and feed the clipping to a Sulcata and my leopards. I pick out the mushrooms, but a how concerned do I need to be about missing the tiny pieces?
View attachment 210541 View attachment 210542
Yeah... i get those here in TX too when it's wet. Sorry but not good about Mushroom id except for some obvious ones like Chanterelles, morels, oysters or the amanitas. I'll be curious to find out as well

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I do believe they are. They look like the same ones we get here. They grow within the grass. Not edible for humans so I wouldn't feed to torts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, tried looking it up. There are lots that can grow in our yards and because there are so many different mushrooms altogether, even the experts can't ID all of them.
They did say the majority are not poisonous, however, they did say it's best to get rid of them if you can't properly ID them so a dog or child doesn't eat them. I have always known of them to be bad.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Okay, tried looking it up. There are lots that can grow in our yards and because there are so many different mushrooms altogether, even the experts can't ID all of them.
They did say the majority are not poisonous, however, they did say it's best to get rid of them if you can't properly ID them so a dog or child doesn't eat them. I have always known of them to be bad.
Any and all mushrooms are bad in my opinion. Fungus gross! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Barb sort of hit on my POV. Even mycologists sometimes have a tough time IDing the various mushroom species. There are many that are harmless, but have look-a-likes that are deadly toxic.

If people who study these things for a living can't tell them apart, I know I sure can't. This being the case, my strategy is to simply avoid them entirely. I remove them from the yard and check my tortoise pens for them very carefully every morning before putting the tortoises out.

One of my dogs nearly died from eating one of the types that pop up here. He was shaking and convulsing and it seemed to partially paralyze him. Vet pumped his stomach and found all the mushroom pieces. We just kept him on supportive care and symptoms went away after a few hours.

Bee62

Germany
mushrooms with gills, kills.......I would not let any pet near them. Even the safe mushrooms; have a very high protein content; which is not good for tortoises.

Right and wrong ....
I would never eat or feed mushrooms I don`t know, but Redfoot Tortoises are allowed to eat mushrooms, but not so often.
My redfoot tortoises love Champignons.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mushrooms with gills, kills.......I would not let any pet near them. Even the safe mushrooms; have a very high protein content; which is not good for tortoises.
There are actually safe mushrooms with what I believe you are calling gills. So, not quite acurite if you want to eat mushrooms. I guess can be used if you don't want to eat/feed them

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
There are actually safe mushrooms with what I believe you are calling gills. So, not quite acurite if you want to eat mushrooms. I guess can be used if you don't want to eat/feed them
"gills/kills" was a quote my grandmother used to tell us during morel mushroom hunting when we were young. By gills I am refering to the structures under the cap. The gills on mushrooms like Champignons; have gills located on the stem. Most of the safe mushrooms we can hunt in the Midwest; are porous or sponge like under the cap.IMG_3356 (2).JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
"gills/kills" was a quote my grandmother used to tell us during morel mushroom hunting when we were young. By gills I am refering to the structures under the cap. The gills on mushrooms like Champignons; have gills located on the stem. Most of the safe mushrooms we can hunt in the Midwest; are porous or sponge like under the cap.View attachment 210596
Yea, I heard that when I was a kid, long ago. It is a way to play it safe, but it's not true that all mushrooms with gills are poisonous.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Those are a different kind then I get down here. Three hours south of Jodie for those of you who don't know :) The ones here are white.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I just assume that any mushroom not in the grocery store is toxic. Except I finally did find out what morels look like but I still wouldn't eat anything I pick out in the forest or my yard.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Barb sort of hit on my POV. Even mycologists sometimes have a tough time IDing the various mushroom species. There are many that are harmless, but have look-a-likes that are deadly toxic.

If people who study these things for a living can't tell them apart, I know I sure can't. This being the case, my strategy is to simply avoid them entirely. I remove them from the yard and check my tortoise pens for them very carefully every morning before putting the tortoises out.

One of my dogs nearly died from eating one of the types that pop up here. He was shaking and convulsing and it seemed to partially paralyze him. Vet pumped his stomach and found all the mushroom pieces. We just kept him on supportive care and symptoms went away after a few hours.
Thats scary! I live in a wet area and get these all the time!