Are these ok for a Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukat

5 Year Member
I got a tortoise table a few days ago and have been setting it up in preparation for getting a Russian Tortoise. I am curious about the uv and basking lights supplied though. Can anyone tell me if they will be suitable for a Russian tortoise or should I be looking to get something better.
mxh9.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) the spiral one I wouldn't recommend using. Have been known to cause eye problems.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The mercury vapor lamp (on the right) is fine, but as Wellington said, the compact fluorescent lamp, or CFL (on the left) is not.

Although rigorous research is lacking, it's thought that coiling the tube damages the absorbent layer, allowing it to release too much UV. It seems like everyone who has tried them has had tortoises hide to escape the radiation, or else develop temporary or even permanent damage to their eyes. I'd avoid CFLs like the plague. Don't stare at the ones around your house, either.

You could also use a straight fluorescent tube. That's what CFLs are trying to imitate in a smaller form, but they are failing miserably at it.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Dang! I just bought one of those coiled lights. Paid $35 at Petco. :-(

Ann from CT

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah, just return it before it damages your pets' eyes.

PS - Kind of shocking that such junk is still on the market, isn't it?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Definitely agree about the coil bulb. Not worth the risk.
Is the one on the right a halogen bulb for heat/light?
That's OK, but as mentioned, you would want to use a tube fluorescent the length of your enclosure, like a Reptisun 10.0.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Question first: Will your tortoise have an appropriate outdoor enclosure? That will determine what your indoor lighting will need to be. Personally I wouldn't use either of those. The coil bulb can be harmful sometimes, and that little 35 watt spot bulb will create a hot spot. Too hot and too small of a spot. I like to use either a 65 watt flood bulb, or if no outside time, then a 100 watt mercury vapor bulb. Adjust the height of your bulb to get a 100 degree basking spot directly under it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tom, you have better eyes than I do! I agree; outside #1, flood bulbs are better than spot heating.

dukat

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Definitely agree about the coil bulb. Not worth the risk.
Is the one on the right a halogen bulb for heat/light?
That's OK, but as mentioned, you would want to use a tube fluorescent the length of your enclosure, like a Reptisun 10.0.

Yes the one on the right is for heat/light.

Tom said:
Question first: Will your tortoise have an appropriate outdoor enclosure? That will determine what your indoor lighting will need to be. Personally I wouldn't use either of those. The coil bulb can be harmful sometimes, and that little 35 watt spot bulb will create a hot spot. Too hot and too small of a spot. I like to use either a 65 watt flood bulb, or if no outside time, then a 100 watt mercury vapor bulb. Adjust the height of your bulb to get a 100 degree basking spot directly under it.

It wont be out too much due to the climate I live in it is Scotland after all :) In fact we've just experienced our best summer weather for 6 years and that only lasted a couple of days :( I did actually read a bit about the coil light and the issues they can cause a couple of hours after I posted my original question so I guess that both bulbs will have to go. I was looking at the 100w mercury bulb so I think that is the one I will get. Thanks so very much for all your help.

dukat

5 Year Member
Decided to change both the lights I was originally supplied and decided to go with a Arcadia D3 100w basking lamp which provides both basking and uvb in one fixture

dukat

5 Year Member
Got the Arcadia light and the Zoo Med deep dome lamp fixture and noticed an immediate difference. The tortoise is a lot more alert and active today and has eaten quite a bit compared to yesterday when he\she was quite lethargic and didn't eat much at all. I thought at first this might just be the settling in period that caused this but I am perhaps starting to think it was the lights that I got initially. I am just glad I joined this great forum and learnt about these products before it was too late and damage was done to my little friends eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.