Are these petunias??? TT says edible

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Just wondering if these are in fact petunias they grow in my front yard in abundance ... she sure would like some flowers...????

Attachments

• 20200919_063859.jpg
    20200919_063859.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 79

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm not sure what that is.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Those definitely are not petunias. Look closely at the leaves, not close to petunia leaves. Also, looks like the flowers on yours form on a stalk.

Not sure what it is, but 100% sure it’s not petunia.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I believe it is Ruellia (wild hairy petunia). It is native to the U.S.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
this is a picture of a ruella or a wild pansy as they call it looks just like mine My Bush is smaller as we trimmed it only 8 in off the ground but it's still producing flowers that's why it looks so stalky I searched my picture online and that's what they came up with looks about the same to me petunias can be purple as well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200920-155851_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200920-155851_Samsung Internet.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 18

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
this is a picture of a ruella or a wild pansy as they call it looks just like mine My Bush is smaller as we trimmed it only 8 in off the ground but it's still producing flowers that's why it looks so stalky I searched my picture online and that's what they came up with looks about the same to me petunias can be purple as well

Good find. ? Interesting that Wiki says they are not closely related to petunias. I’m guessing many ppl first look at the similar flower type.

Ruellia is a genus of flowering plants commonly known as ruellias or wild petunias. They are not closely related to petunias (Petunia) although both genera belong to the same euasterid clade. The genus was named in honor of Jean Ruelle, herbalist and physician to Francis I of France and translator of several works of Dioscorides. / Wiki /

➡️➡️➡️➡️ Ruellias are popular ornamental plants. Some are used as medicinal plants, but many are known or suspected to be poisonous. / Wiki /

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Good find. ? Interesting that Wiki says they are not closely related to petunias. I’m guessing many ppl first look at the similar flower type.

Ruellia is a genus of flowering plants commonly known as ruellias or wild petunias. They are not closely related to petunias (Petunia) although both genera belong to the same euasterid clade. The genus was named in honor of Jean Ruelle, herbalist and physician to Francis I of France and translator of several works of Dioscorides. / Wiki /

➡➡➡➡ Ruellias are popular ornamental plants. Some are used as medicinal plants, but many are known or suspected to be poisonous. / Wiki /
guess I won't be risking that one

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Agreed with the Ruellia ID. I started feeding the flowers this summer based on TT saying it’s safe. Never offered the leaves. My torts will eat them with similar gusto to hibiscus flowers of the same color.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Agreed with the Ruellia ID. I started feeding the flowers this summer based on TT saying it’s safe. Never offered the leaves. My torts will eat them with similar gusto to hibiscus flowers of the same color.
Yeah the ruellia or petunia is said to have lilac as well as pink and other colors from what I read

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Just wondering if these are in fact petunias they grow in my front yard in abundance ... she sure would like some flowers...????

Is you have a chance to download either of the apps SEEK, PictureThis, or now you can even use google lens you might be able to get an answer.