Are these plants edible? (For Russian tortoise)

Santisaur

IMG_2668.JPG IMG_2667.JPG I noticed some large plants behind my shed, the leaves are nice and big, so it would be nice if I could feed them to my Russian tortoise. the plants are between four and five feet tall.
There are also some orange flowers I'm curious about.
Lastly, some fig trees sprouted in my yard, are those safe to feed?

Santisaur

Thanks for the list! It's a very good list, but I didn't find it there (there is a lot to scroll though and I'm on the clock). However, I will use this list in the future. I think they may be pokeweeds, I used a plant identification app, and pokeweeds seem the most likely. It is a very useful app, here is the link. http://www.gardenanswers.com/

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
The first one is marigold, a French marigold, I believe. Listed as a "do not feed" in the Tortoise Table. The Tortoise Table csn be conservative and some of us do not follow it religiously but I'm not sure if others actually do feed this plant. Let's see what others have to say on their experiences.

No idea on the second plant.

Fig leaves are edible, they may be an irritant to eyes and perhaps skin (yours, not necessarily not the tortoise's). People do feed them. My Russian said "Nope!" but no reason not to try. Just wash your hands after.

Santisaur

The first one is marigold, a French marigold, I believe. Listed as a "do not feed" in the Tortoise Table. The Tortoise Table csn be conservative and some of us do not follow it religiously but I'm not sure if others actually do feed this plant. Let's see what others have to say on their experiences.

No idea on the second plant.

Fig leaves are edible, they may be an irritant to eyes and perhaps skin (yours, not necessarily not the tortoise's). People do feed them. My Russian said "Nope!" but no reason not to try. Just wash your hands after.
Ah, marigold. Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait until the second plant fruits or flowers to identify it. I will have to think about the figs, but I think I'll pass