Are these plants safe, and suggestions needed for safe but less interesting plants

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I got this plant from a co-worker is it safe for a Russian enclosure?

Also, I am planting edible but maybe less interesting than normal plants for enclosure decorations. Anyone with live plants, what kinds are your torts less interested in? I've heard spider plants are a good option and maybe bromeliad. Anyone have suggestions?

Attachments

• 15090469724921039724835.jpg
    15090469724921039724835.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
One of them - the broad leaved one - looks like an orchid which should not be fed.

The only safe plants to have in an enclosure are edible ones.

In my garden, I have three types of plant: edible, trampled and too big to be eaten or trampled to the ground.

Look plants you can buy up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed - they can be used in the enclosure after you have repotted them in additive free compost, rinsed them thoroughly to remove any sprays and grown them on sfor a few months to ensure there are no systemic pesticide residues in them.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have checked the website. What I was asking was what plants other people's tortoise's didn't prefer to eat as much as some of the other plants. I have read of several people's tortoise's not eating the spider plants as much which was why I'd mentioned that plant in particular.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Oops sorry meant to include that. It is an indoor enclosure.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I have not offered bromeliads to my tort yet so I'm not sure if they would think it's tasty or not. I have some sedge grass in my baby sulcatas closed chamber enclosure and it has not even been nibbled. He likes to sleep next to it though. I have large flat rocks around it to deter digging. Boston ferns may be a good choice.
I also have some creeping succulents that I left in pots. When they dangle down he eats the ends.
I should point out that the plants I used were dug up from my established flower beds so there was no concerns about fertilizer or pesticides. Stores and plant nurseries often use stuff and it could make your tort sick.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks for the ideas I will check into them. I am likely not trying my tort till May which is why I want to get the plants now so they have time to grow and get new growth that will be safe.