Are these plants safe to keep in a tortoise’s enclosure?

oliviachilton

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hello! I have a 2-3 month old sulcata tortoise and I went shopping for plants today for his enclosure. I was looking for safe ones to keep in his enclosure, but none of the stores I went to have 1000% safe plants that you could keep in a tortoise enclosure, all of them only had ones that you can feed in moderation. But, with saying that, I just wanted more opinions on the plants I got. I got Aster, romaine leaf lettuce (I wasn’t going to keep that in his enclosure, but if I can please do tell :)) and lastly, I got garden sage. would just like opinions on that, thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. None of those are really good if you just purchased. It’s just as easy to go out in your garden and dig upsome nice large grass tufts. I used to do this all the time. Grass, dandelion, plantain. Find some weeds/grass tufts, dig them out & plant. As long as there were no pesticides applied, these tufts of grass are safe, free, and good food to nibble. The herb Sage is strong & prob wouldn’t be tasty

oliviachilton

Louisiana
Greetings. None of those are really good if you just purchased. It’s just as easy to go out in your garden and dig upsome nice large grass tufts. I used to do this all the time. Grass, dandelion, plantain. Find some weeds/grass tufts, dig them out & plant. As long as there were no pesticides applied, these tufts of grass are safe, free, and good food to nibble. The herb Sage is strong & prob wouldn’t be tasty

Thank you for the reply! There’s not a whole bunch of flowers by me, and the ones that are in my yard I don’t know what they are and if it’s okay for the tortoise to eat. I was hoping to start my own garden, hence why I bought the plants. I have cat grass as well, but I heard that was okay to put into a tortoise’s enclosure so that was my plan. I do from time to time dig up grass in my yard and feed my tortoise it, but I was hoping to get more things that had to do with flowers besides just that. Any suggestions?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Sullys are grass eaters... but, Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus, all kinds of pumpkin/gourd flowers, grape leaves, mulberry leaves all work well. Grass, grass, grass - cheap, easy.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Indoor right now :) like i said, he is 2-3 months old so not big enough to keep safe from predators.

Right. Id just pick clumps of grass/dandelions/weeds & put those in there. The inside of a Sully hatchlings fully enclosed enclosure @80F overall ambient, coupled with hotter basking areas, isnt very conducive to growing plants.

Good luck!