Are these proper lights? What do you suggest?

booyin

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I have these lights for Blue but I don't know if they're good for him. I looked up some mercury vapor bulbs but am having a hard time finding a good, reliable brand.

https://imgur.com/pj7nS0C

I keep the red light on all the time but I turn the UV off at night around 7-8 PM. Should I be turning both off? I read on another article that their night temperature shouldn't exceed 65 degrees and that the red light should be off at night, but I hadn't heard about that until now.

If I do get a mercury vapor bulb, would I no longer need the red bulb?

Rue

Canada
No to both. The compact fluorescent seems to cause eye issues. The red bulb colours things in the enclosure that the tortoise may then try to eat...or otherwise causes stress. They also need darkness at night. The red light is still a light.

A MV bulb will provide both heat and UVB.

If you need heat at night use a ceramic heat emitter.

I don't use any night heat since I have a Hermann's and our ambient room temperature is within the suggested range. Other species might need it warmer.

booyin

SoCal
No to both. The compact fluorescent seems to cause eye issues. The red bulb colours things in the enclosure that the tortoise may then try to eat...or otherwise causes stress. They also need darkness at night. The red light is still a light.

A MV bulb will provide both heat and UVB.

If you need heat at night use a ceramic heat emitter.

I don't use any night heat since I have a Hermann's and our ambient room temperature is within the suggested range. Other species might need it warmer.

So I can pretty much just have one bulb and one dome and get rid of everything I already have? Lol

I really wish I knew about this site before I went to the reptile shop

Would you recommend any particular brands for MV bulbs and ceramic heat emitters?

Would it be okay for these two to be in the same combo dome that I have?

Last edited:

Rue

Canada
Don't feel bad. I also have the double dome. I bought it first. I still use it to provide a little extra light/heat at the other end of the enclosure - just using incandescent bulbs.

It's handy.

I think you will need a larger dome for the MV bulb. It is also very very hot. You do have to have the ceramic socket for it. I would err on the side of caution with the MV bulb. It is a fire hazard.

The CHE I am not sure about. I don't know how hot it gets compared to the MV bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I can pretty much just have one bulb and one dome and get rid of everything I already have? Lol

I really wish I knew about this site before I went to the reptile shop

Would you recommend any particular brands for MV bulbs and ceramic heat emitters?

Would it be okay for these two to be in the same combo dome that I have?

No. You need a bulb for daytime basking, and you need a CHE for maintaining ambient temp and night temps when the basking bulb is off.

You don't need indoor UV since your tortoise will be getting sunshine on a regular basis here in our warm sunny climate.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
This is the one I use , not that it makes a difference , but they have worked well for me ! I have a 100 watt for the winter and a 60 watt for summer !

pPETNA-5195326_main_t300x300.jpg
As Tom said , if your Tort is getting regular outside time , you can get away with a regular bulb , just to keep day time temps up . I use a 65 watt UV bulb I bought at Walmart . I don't need the UV but it doesn't hurt and it keeps the temps where I need them ! :)