Are these safe to feed?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
View attachment 267877 Lol these guys are working hard!! Im just wondering if they are located in a desert they must be very far away from me, i’ve never seen one in my life! Maybe i’ll give them a try!
Yes, they, and I, are very far away from you! And a whole lot warmer!

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
As for Tortoise Supply, I would trust anything they sell. It is a good company. They care about what our torts get and eat. They own many torts too and he feeds everything they sell to his owntorts.!
I agree. I've bought and used their Herbal Hay Salad, and I'll be buying more in a week as I'm about to run out. I prefer to buy from breeders who have tortoises themselves and know what is best for them. Their goal is to provide nutrition for the tortoises. Companies like Zoo Med have the goal of making money. So I only buy lights and substrate from companies, but all my food supplements are purchased from other breeders.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I’ve been using the tortoisesupply.com seed mix for Med tortoises for several years. It’s a great mix and a relief not to have to stay on top of the uneaten grasses with this species. This mix also has about the widest variety. (I’ve used the Carolina Pet supply seeds, Shelled Warriors seeds, mixed my own from ebay, etc.). Just seeded my tortoise areas with it a couple of days ago!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
They've been super slow with shipping lately. I used to buy from and recommend them, but people weren't getting their orders for 2-3 months. I hope they've gotten that issue sorted out.
I was actually gonna post about that because I ordered TNT from them on March 4 and I still haven’t received anything. I emailed them asking about any updates and and haven’t had any replies. So do you think it will still come, and that it will just take a couple months, because I’ve already been charged for it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was actually gonna post about that because I ordered TNT from them on March 4 and I still haven’t received anything. I emailed them asking about any updates and and haven’t had any replies. So do you think it will still come, and that it will just take a couple months, because I’ve already been charged for it?
CarolinaPetSupply.com is a reputable business, however, they do seem to have a pretty big problem shipping out orders in a timely manner.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
CarolinaPetSupply.com is a reputable business, however, they do seem to have a pretty big problem shipping out orders in a timely manner.

Ok, yeah, that’s what I figured. I’ll just wait and see. Thanks for your help :)

I was also wondering about Peacful Valley Premium Horse Irrigated Pasture Mix? I remember a post saying that was a great mix too, it’s $ 4.99/lb.

ingredients: Tetraploid Annual Ryegrass, Tetraploid Perennial Ryegrass, Orchardgrass, Tetrelite Intermediate Ryegrass, Red Clover, Strawberry Clover, and Hay & Graze Alfalfa.

Is this comparable to the other brands listed in the post?

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Since you are here may I ask what is it that you put in that mix and why you choose not to show your customers? I wouldn’t eat something without knowing the ingredients and I wouldn’t make my tort eat something unknown. I’ve read positives things about this store but to me trust start with transparency.

I agree with you for people consumption and in most cases animal. But I whole heartedly recommend their product and the company. My 2 cents. Better than buying bird seed.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Ok, yeah, that’s what I figured. I’ll just wait and see. Thanks for your help :)

I was also wondering about Peacful Valley Premium Horse Irrigated Pasture Mix? I remember a post saying that was a great mix too, it’s $ 4.99/lb.

ingredients: Tetraploid Annual Ryegrass, Tetraploid Perennial Ryegrass, Orchardgrass, Tetrelite Intermediate Ryegrass, Red Clover, Strawberry Clover, and Hay & Graze Alfalfa.

Is this comparable to the other brands listed in the post?

Tom recommends this brand. I’d trust it. [emoji39]

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I've purchased seeds and even Mazuri low starch pellets from Tortoise supply and I can't recommend them highly enough. Like you, I'm also new to seeds, grasses, etc. for my leopard tortoise and when I email them, they're quick to respond. I haven't tried to purchase from other companies, and I'm sure they're great also, but if one works well for you as in my case, why switch?

Attachments

• 20190326_201758.jpg
    20190326_201758.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
View attachment 267877 Lol these guys are working hard!! Im just wondering if they are located in a desert they must be very far away from me, i’ve never seen one in my life! Maybe i’ll give them a try!

Most all of the grass seeds at Walmart will be coated or fertilized for lawns... in the fine print, you will see something that states not to use for food.. however, even though tortoise keepers are a minority, there are thousands of people with grazing livestock.. so any feed or farm n ranch store should have uncoated or untreated grazing seed. You can buy a lot more for a lot less...not to mention, you can get what will grow best in your climate..

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Most all of the grass seeds at Walmart will be coated or fertilized for lawns... in the fine print, you will see something that states not to use for food.. however, even though tortoise keepers are a minority, there are thousands of people with grazing livestock.. so any feed or farm n ranch store should have uncoated or untreated grazing seed. You can buy a lot more for a lot less...not to mention, you can get what will grow best in your climate..

Yeah I was planning on going in a store like that soon but im afraid it will be sold in a too huge amount, I think even a pound would be a lot for me so 50lbs would be way too much. If I can’t find something small enough I’ll try tortoise supply if their shipping cost to Canada isn’t too high.