Are these seeds okay/growing help?

grandlinegirl

Hello.

I don't have a green-thumb at all but I wanted to try growing some things for the tort I'm getting in a few weeks. I've heard dandelion is safe to eat but I'm having a hard time finding seeds in Canada.

Is this the right dandelion?

https://www.seed-bank.ca/product/french-dandelion-seeds/?attribute_seed-quantity=150+seeds

I was also thinking of getting some chia seeds to grow in the enclosure substrate...

https://www.seed-bank.ca/product/organic-chia-seeds/?attribute_seed-quantity=1,000+seeds

My other issue is soil!! I've looked online everywhere (Canadian sites) and I can't find any organic soil without perlite and/or fertilizers. What can I grow these things in? Coconut coir?

If you guys have any tips for growing these, I'd really appreciate it. Like I said, I have a hard time keeping things alive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Those dandelion seeds are fine.

Can you dig up some dirt from outside?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Are you growing inside the enclosure? There's nothing wrong with perlite if you are growing separate from your animal. Fertilizer is necessary to grow plants, whether of not your animal will have direct contact with the soil should dictate what types of fertilizer you should use. Plants will start growing in coir but your yields may not be great because coir lacks the nutrients for long term plant growth.

grandlinegirl

Are you growing inside the enclosure? There's nothing wrong with perlite if you are growing separate from your animal. Fertilizer is necessary to grow plants, whether of not your animal will have direct contact with the soil should dictate what types of fertilizer you should use. Plants will start growing in coir but your yields may not be great because coir lacks the nutrients for long term plant growth.

I was going to just sprinkle the chia seeds into the coconut coir substrate but if that won't grow well then I can grow outside the enclosure. If I can use soil with perlite then I guess I'm okay! Thank you :) Now hopefully I can manage to grow these things.

Prairie Mom

Feel free to get in touch if you need any help as you're growing these. I grow a lot of food inside for my tortoise. Good luck!