Are these tortoise bites a O.K. treat? or should i toss them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Some one gave these to me...

are they ok as a treat?
Only place i could find the ingredients on them..

http://www.petco.com/product/12501/Nature-Zone-Tortoise-Bites.aspx

a copy and paste from that site

Nature Zone Tortoise Bites

* Soft, moist cactus pear flavored food with an orange color which tortoises are attracted to
* This ready to eat food is fortified with calcium, vitamins, essential nutrients and has the fiber content tortoises need
* Also a favorite of box turtles

Whole milk powder, dried egg product, whey protein, soy protein, maltodextrin, sucrose, fructose, apple, carrots, carrageenan, locust bean gum, lecithin, calcium carbonate, wheat germ oil, natural & artificial flavor, calcium lactate, potassium sorbate, dicalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, citric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium benzoate, methylparaben, beta carotene, lycopene, beet powder, ogliofructose, yucca schidigera extract, choline chloride, iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, FD&C red 40, sodium selenite, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, manganese amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, vitamin B12, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, calcium iodate, biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min.) 9%, crude fat (min.) 2%, crude fiber (max.) 7%, moisture (max.) 78%.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I personally would not feed it. I don't like that whole milk powder is the main ingredient!
Then again I choose not to feed Mazuri either so feel free to wait for someone else to respond!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
which of your torts are you feeding it to? doesn't sound good to feed to the leopards but im not quite sure about your omnivourous torts

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I bought a similar product for my water turtles last year, and they wouldn't touch them, and they usually eat anything. They had a rack of all these "bites" on the counter at the pet store. They even had one to stimulate their appetite.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
terracolson said:
Some one gave these to me...

are they ok as a treat?
Only place i could find the ingredients on them..

http://www.petco.com/product/12501/Nature-Zone-Tortoise-Bites.aspx

Well just as the name implies.... " a treat" and if the torts will eat them it wont harm them. Its just not an everyday staple. Matter of fact even the best of what folks call the #1 food" if fed every single day without a varied diet will shorten the lifespan of that species. Most of us own species who " naturaly " ( key word) have varied diets. So as a treat and if they eat it sure no prob, but why waste your money?
Theres more money spent in the packaging of that product then there is ingredients. Go for a Natural treat! even better ... *Grow Your Own*:)
Just some input ~ :D

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Generally, when they say "xxxx flavor" means it is not real thing. It has color dye that "tortoise is attracted to"...who do they think they are fooling? Tortoises are so smart they can sniff all that artificial stuff.

Read below you can judge for yourself.
There are tons of things that I personally wouldn't feed to my tortoise. Aside from dairy and egg product, look at the chemicals they put in it--methylparaben is speculated to cause infertility in human women.

Ingredients
Whole milk powder, dried egg product, whey protein, soy protein, maltodextrin, sucrose, fructose, apple, carrots, carrageenan, locust bean gum, lecithin, calcium carbonate, wheat germ oil, natural & artificial flavor, calcium lactate, potassium sorbate, dicalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, citric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium benzoate, methylparaben, beta carotene, lycopene, beet powder, ogliofructose, yucca schidigera extract, choline chloride, iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, FD&C red 40, sodium selenite, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, manganese amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, vitamin B12, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, calcium iodate, biotin.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min.) 9%, crude fat (min.) 2%, crude fiber (max.) 7%, moisture (max.) 78%.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
there are a lot of big words in that list. I personally would not feed them simply based on the milk powder thing, I do not know what that is so I don't feed what I do not know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.