Are these weeds and flowers safe for my tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

eajspider

5 Year Member
I went round the garden today and took some pictures of the various weeds and flowers we have growing , I know very little about plants or weeds so would be great if anyone could tell me if these are safe or not.
IMG_0011.JPG N1
IMG_0012.JPG N2
IMG_0013.JPG N3
IMG_0015.JPG N4
IMG_0017.JPG N5 Aloe vera
IMG_0008.JPG N6

Last edited by a moderator:

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
eajspider said:
I went round the garden today and took some pictures of the various weeds and flowers we have growing , I know very little about plants or weeds so would be great if anyone could tell me if these are safe or not.

Personally, I'd really recommend The Tortoise Table for identifying plants. I'm lucky that our garden is rubbish, and only contains a few plants all but one of which are safe to eat, but if I'm purchasing treats from the shops, or come across a wild plant, I'll rely on the site to guide me:

Aloe Vera is Safe in Moderation (http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?mode=main&catID=7)

I believe N4 is Plumbago (http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=391), which is Not Safe, so I wouldn't take a risk on that one.

Unfortunately, I struggled to find your others easily but you might have more luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, you're in Arabia, right? I was thinking that #4 was periwinkle, but when I googled Plumbago, that looked right.

The first one looks like sprouts from some sort of tree seeds. It resembles mimosa or sensitive plant.

N3 is some sort of crab grass - edible.

Sorry, but I don't know the others.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
N4 Looks like vinca minor
N6 looks like vinca.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but google those and see if it matches your plants! If it looks similar I would avoid as they are listed as toxic!

redbeef

5 Year Member
N1 is very interesting: never seen that in Southern California...looks like some sort of tree/shrub in the fabaceae family...if they flower w/a pea or bean like flower and have some sort of seedpod that looks like a bean or peapod, than that's probably what it is. Can't narrow it down any more than that. Probably shouldn't feed it.

N2 looks like some sort of Amaranthaceae, but I'm not familiar w/your local flora, so I can't say for sure. Amaranth family are generally considered undesirable to feed to tortoise from what I know

Agree w/Emysemys that N3 is some sort of creeping crabgrass type and therefore edible.

I'd agree w/Torty Mom that N6 is vinca but I've seen N4 grown as an ornamental here and it's a woody shrub w/sticky flower calyx (area right below flower) which would point towards Cherylim's Plumbago ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.