Are They going to be DEAD ???? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hi
i'm getting 3 adults eastern box turtles...
they were shipped on Monday around 2 pm.
I wanted over night shipping- the seller told me , that he is sending them within in 2 days and they will be fine ( I never got turtles shipped ) so I trusted him...
now ups tells me that they will be here tomorrow by the end of the day !! that makes is 4 long days !!
i'm freaking out... are they going to be dead ?? he told me he put icepack in it with some lettuce...
:( :(

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Okay, first of all, have you read up on Florida Law regarding the buying/selling of Box Turtles? Second, you should have walked away from the transaction after you knew that the animals were not being shipped overnight. They may or may not show up dead. If they do, good luck getting your money back. This has all the ear marks of a seller that should not be selling animals, and a naive buyer. The two do not mix at all...

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I feel very bad for you. You do not need to hear negative things right now!! You need
support! Please try and stay calm. Do u know if the shipper put holes in their box?
You have never done this before and I know it is scary for you! Please do not think the worst and try to hang in there.
One good thing is that they are not babies. They are adults. I wish someone else would reply more info to you! I am very upset also! I cant believe it was supposed to only be 2 days! I am so sorry you are going thru this!!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
It's not about negativity; it's about reality. Sounds like a scam to me. A reputable breeder / seller is not going to put lettuce in the box for the animals to enjoy on the way there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to soak them in nice warm water as soon as you get them out of the box. They could possibly be dehydrated. We have had tortoises get lost and take 2-3 days to get where they were suppose to and were fine. Fingers crossed and let us know. You may also try talking to ups and seeing if there is any way they could deliver them quicker, possibly you picking them up instead of waiting for them to be delivered.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
luvpetz27 said:
I feel very bad for you. You do not need to hear negative things right now!! You need
support! Please try and stay calm. Do u know if the shipper put holes in their box?
You have never done this before and I know it is scary for you! Please do not think the worst and try to hang in there.

Thanks Luvpetz,
I will ask him right away- I called also ups- but they said they cant do anything since there are one a truck. it is so messed up- because yesterday it said they should be here today- and today on the ups ( tracking site ) it says tomorrow... its so messed up. I really hope they going to be ok. I will let you know about the holes...
by the way I can have them in Florida .

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
4 days is a huge chance that they are dead or very stressed and in bad condition. my tort wasnt even in shipping for a whole 24 hours and she was stressed and had dirtied her self threw the transport. the stress and bowel movements are normal, but that was with in 24 hours. i hate to say it but dont be surprised if they are no longer alive or just about to die..its not your fault.. theres bad people out there who do things like this...a great place to order from which i have actually order'd my tort from is ( theturtlesource.com ) stay away from places with horrible reviews like turtleshack.com and or people trying to ship you or sell you animals that they cant prove are healthy or captive bred.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
harris said:
It's not about negativity; it's about reality. Sounds like a scam to me. A reputable breeder is not going to put lettuce in the box for the animals to enjoy on the way there.

oh one more thing.. its not about the money its about the turtles.
but if I want the money I can just get it back right away I payed with paypal.( they told me i'm secure with them ) and I trust them since Ive been working with them since years.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
harris said:
It's not about negativity; it's about reality. Sounds like a scam to me. A reputable breeder is not going to put lettuce in the box for the animals to enjoy on the way there.

oh one more thing.. its not about the money its about the turtles.
but if I want the money I can just get it back right away I payed with paypal.( they told me i'm secure with them ) and I trust them since Ive been working with them since years.

Oh God.. I really hope that there are fine... I will soak them right away. I will buy some worms.. hopefully they going to be fine ...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Bits and pieces of what I would have said have already been shared.

The only thing I would adjust would be be the soak if they arrive alive and are hot at arrival.

I would prepare the soaking tub now so that the temperature of the water is room temperature. Cold could be a shock to the system and is only for certain emergencies. Warm will not allow as quick of core temperature lowering if they do arrive alive and hot.

You will be lucky if they arrive alive due to the heat they could be experiencing in transit. Especially if the truck is parked in the sunlight for a length of time at any point (which is likely).

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
harris said:
It's not about negativity; it's about reality. Sounds like a scam to me. A reputable breeder / seller is not going to put lettuce in the box for the animals to enjoy on the way there.

I know. I was just very upset when I read this. She has worked very hard on their beautiful enclosure and has looked forward to getting them. I am very upset and feel so bad for her.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Good luck to you and your animals. Keep us posted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All I will say is: Next time do not do business with someone who does not insist that the animals be sent overnight.

That and I wish good luck to you and the turtles.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I just called UPS again
I can pick them up tomorrow at 8:30 am -- better then 7pm that they will bring them to me...
I asked if I can even come today-, but they said there is no way :(

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
A note of possible hope is that UPS terminals are cool enough for the workers and therefore the boxies. As has been suggesred have a bath ready for the guys in a nice quiet subdued light area for them. In future I say deal with sellers that ship overnight (all my transactions have as such). Hope to hear a positive outcome to this.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Being they are Eastern Box Turtles, you are allowed to possess two animals. Note how the law does not specify per person or species ANYMORE. They used to. The links I had to those pages are now gone. Some of the older field inspectors may still uphold to the two per person rule, but others will not. It is explicitly spelled out, where as years before there were loopholes. Everything anyone wanted to know about Florida Turtles is in the link below...

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/freshwater-turtles/

abclements

5 Year Member
I agree with everyone, but honestly, they'll probably be fine. Maybe a little worse for wear but they should still be alive. The only major thing I'm worried about is the heat, that ice pack only lasts a day, but the liquid will still absorb higher temps a little. So yes, hot and dehydrated, but I would doubt they'll be dead. I understand the extreme prejudice for overnighting a tort, because we all want what's best for the tort/turtle, but they are very hardy little things that can withstand quite a bit! Good luck and best wishes to both you and your torts!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay we know he had an ice pack (which what kind and size was it?) in there, but how did the seller do the rest of the package? Insulation and if so how much? Where is this ice pack compared to where the animals are? What is in there with them to keep them from moving around or are they each in a pillow case like bag? Have you been paying attention to what heat is along their route?

I wish you the best and have my fingers crossed for them.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I have no idea how he pack them.
I just know I will be there tomorrow morning at 8:30.
I have already a container ready
what I will put water in it, I going to soak them right there,
and then I have another container ready,
with mulch and dirt, so that they can relax a little bit while I'm driving them home. also I got the worms, and strawberrys.

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
How long is your drive home? I would check them.. maybe re-pack them, but wait to get home to soak and feed them... let them settle...

Status
Not open for further replies.