Are they hibernating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
We have two Greek torts who having spent all summer outdoors have now come indoors. They have a UVA and UVB lamp for about 8 hours/day in their enclosure and our indoor temp is about 20ºC (65ºF)but they are very inactive, one more so than the other. Although they don't seem to be unwell at all I am concerned that they are not eating. Surely if they don't eat and are active they will lose weight.
I read on the forum that torts can be active at some point of the day when hibernating so I want to know if they are and what do I do for them?
Any suggestions welcome.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
First off you need to have your lights on for a longer time, 12 to 14 hours a day. Do you have a basking spot so they can get warmer than 20C?

Danny

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
Directly under the lamp is much warmer. One of them already basks there. The other doesn't seem interested. Will keep the lamp on for longer but they have always gone to bed when we turn it off anyway.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
mine goes to bed before the light goes off too but its still on for 14 hrs a day. the temp under the heat lamp should be around 90 at least if the light goes of to early they think winter is coming and will slow down

Status
Not open for further replies.