are they old enough to know the gender yet?

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have posted about these guys a few times now over the years. the last time I asked was august of last year. they have grown a couple inches since then.

I got them as yearlings. I was told they were born in July of 2011.

my question is...are they big and old enough to tell if they are boys or girls yet? if not, when do you think I will know for sure?

before you ask, don't worry, they are kept in separate outdoor enclosures.

I labeled the pictures to make it easier to tell them apart. #1 is named Kokopelli and #2 is named Kachina.
thanks in advance for the help :)

koko1.jpg koko2.jpg koko3.jpg koko4.jpg kach1.jpg kach2.jpg kach3.jpg kach4.jpg

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Arizona
that's my guess on them right now. they both look female to me but I know that sulcatas can look female if they are too small or young to show male characteristics yet. at what age/size do they really show their gender characteristics?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
that's my guess on them right now. they both look female to me but I know that sulcatas can look female if they are too small or young to show male characteristics yet. at what age/size do they really show their gender characteristics?
If they are boys, they'll be flashing within the next year probably. Some flash earlier. I think with Charlie, he was 5.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think female as well. If you are flashed or they lay eggs you will know for sure. That's pretty much the only way to get a guarantee.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

I think they are two cute females.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I've always used a rule of thumb of 16" and 16 lbs is when I feel comfortable " knowing" the sex of a sulcata unless they flash - which often happens way earlier. Otherwise I'm reluctant to be sure before then on a suspected female

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are normally bigger at 5 years old, so we can normally tell for sure.

At only 12" both of those tails look female, but the anal scutes have not taken on the adult shape yet in either due to their size.

I agree with Mark's estimation here. I can't think of an example that I wasn't reasonably sure of by 16" long, regardless of age.

In any case, both of them are very nice looking tortoises. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Beautiful animals you have here!!! :)
They look female to me, but I don't have sulcatas- I have Hermann's. So don't quote me! :p