Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've had an ongoing issue with neighborhood cats pooping in the sandy areas of my yard and smashing my hedges next to my shadow box privacy fence. I had captured two of them and released them near my job since so many cats were already living there and MANY folks feed them. I did that because I'm a softy and didn't want to harm them. Now there is a really nasty one that has been chasing my 2.5 pound dog in her own yard. So the trap is out again.
The issue is that after I caught the second crapping feline and released it, I found a flyer on a lamp post with a picture of the cat on it. Now I'm aware that three of my closest neighbors(GREAT neighbors, too!) "have" cats. But they don't have cat beds or a litter box or anything to show that the own a cat because it seems to be the norm to buy a cat, let it live 100% outdoors. Crap any place it pleases and let other folks deal with cat ownership in general.
I also have an older car that I don't drive and I've been meaning to restore it. A big male has been sleeping on the windshield, wiper area and has relieved himself there so often that the car reeks of old urine. Enough that I may send the car to the junk yard now.
What kind of cat owner are you?
Us that choose to not keep cats around don't appreciate your cats being around.
No offense to anyone in particular.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am a cat lover and owner. This is Maks 19 pounds and Lil Roxie 6 pounds.
BUT, I do not believe in outside cats period. Inside cats live longer (8 yrs longer) and outside cats, as well as doing to you bad things, 1 outside cat will kill up to 1000 baby birds in a couple seasons.
They walk dirty feet on my clean car, they crap in my garden, knock over the plants on my deck, and I'm NOT a softie, I trap them and then go on a road trip. Cat is dropped more than 100 miles from home. I used to take them to the pound, but one was chipped, so twice the owner went and got it. So I found out who she was, I told her the damage the cat has done to my deck plants, scratches and dirt on my car and "Please keep you cat inside as the next time I trap it, I will bury it in my yard, get the picture.?" But she didn't believe me. So the next time I trapped it on my deck the cat took a trip with me, and was dropped in New Mexico on my way to Texas. Out in the desert. If she can catch and kill my birds, she can live on her own somewhere else, and NO, I don't feel bad, she was stupid to let the cat out again after I told her what I would do. Dumb broad.

I suggest you buy a pkg of plastic forks, plant them handle down in your sandy places. Every time you see that cat squirt it with your hose, make it uncomfortable to be in your yard. Then buy a can of black pepper, shake it all over where that male cat pees and sleeps on your car, he'll leave in a hurry, pepper gets to them, they hate it.

I totally understand how you feel. But MY personal opinion is that my animals are not allow to bother anyone else, your neighbors are rude and very inconsiderate (NOT great neighbors)to allow their cats to bother you. I'd take extreme measures, frankly. I HATE outside cats, and I have grown up with cats, I have always had cats, and I love them. Wouldn't live without one. But NOT OUTSIDE!!!

As for smashing your hedges....get the biggest nails you can, the 'spike' kind. Space them around your hedges. Then wrap fishing line around the nails around your hedge, the cats can't see the fishing line and it scares them when it trips them, and voila, gone cat!!! Hope this helps, it has worked for me, but be prepared for some joker to asking how are your forks growing, they look good. HA

DSCN2119.JPG IMG_0116.JPG DSCN2399.JPG

GingerLove

5 Year Member
We put hot peppers in our yard. The cat didn't like the smell. I think it even tried to eat one because I heard a cat scream one morning. ;) We also called animal control. I hated that cat, but it was the neighbors fault, really.

Prairie Mom

You need to stop catching and dumping cats. Yes, these are neglectful pet owners and I strongly disagree with the way they are keeping these animals both for the animals' sake and the lack of consideration to your property. But catching them and dumping them isn't the right way for anyone to handle this. Sorry to speak so bluntly, but it's not. This is cruelty plain and simple. It's not the animals' fault that they have neglectful owners and this practice is hurtful to that animal. At least take them to a pound where they have a chance of being adopted by other people or retrieved by their own owners.

Laying down screens like chicken wire or galvanized hardware cloth also helps prevent cats from stepping on the areas you don't want them to go.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You need to stop catching and dumping cats. Yes, these are neglectful pet owners and I strongly disagree with the way they are keeping these animals both for the animals sake and the lack of consideration to your property. But catching them and dumping them isn't the right way for anyone to handle this. Sorry to speak so bluntly, but it's not. It's not the animals' fault that they have neglectful owners and this practice is hurtful to that animal. At least take them to a pound where they have a chance of being adopted by other people or retrieved by their own owners.

Laying down screens like chicken wire or galvanized hardware cloth also helps preven cats from stepping on the areas you don't want them to go.
I completely understand. But I'm DONE with doing things that don't work. The last thing I want is for the "owners" to reclaim them and let them loose again. I've had to make my back porch totally enclosed as well as my tortoise pen and a garden area. I've dealt with pest animals in the past. Raccoons for example. I fought and lost for a long time until I resorted to killing them. Now I am raccoon free. I would not shoot a cat. But I am fine with relocating them. Even though I may be giving someone else the same problem by doing so.
It IS the owners, not the cats. But I can't relocate, or even punch in the face the owners. Nor can I force the irresponsible owners to act differently.
You happen to be a member that I like and I am not trying to upset you.

Last edited:
M

Maggie Cummings

You need to stop catching and dumping cats. Yes, these are neglectful pet owners and I strongly disagree with the way they are keeping these animals both for the animals' sake and the lack of consideration to your property. But catching them and dumping them isn't the right way for anyone to handle this. Sorry to speak so bluntly, but it's not. This is cruelty plain and simple. It's not the animals' fault that they have neglectful owners and this practice is hurtful to that animal. At least take them to a pound where they have a chance of being adopted by other people or retrieved by their own owners.

Laying down screens like chicken wire or galvanized hardware cloth also helps preven cats from stepping on the areas you don't want them to go.

Retrieved by their owners so they can be put out again and cause damage to my possessions that cost money. I think it's mean and cruel for a trapped and re released cat to put scratches in my car, dump over expensive exotic plants on my deck and break them. Crap in my garden so when I am weeding I pick up cat crap with my bare hands. Sorry to speak so bluntly, but the rude inconsiderate owners don't care about those cats, and frankly, they are very lucky that I don't kill them after I see them robbing my bird feeder and killing my birds. If they can kill so many wild animals in MY yard, they can survive wherever I drop them. All the better if they don't. Just sayin.

You going to buy me chicken wire or hardware cloth and install it, NO? I didn't think so.
This summer alone, cats have killed many wild bunnies in my yard, untold numbers of birds, 25 quail in a covey, lost 8 baby quail. Put deep scratches in my hood that won't buff out. Knocked over 3 Hoya's that I had to send to Hawaii to buy. A male sprays my $350 car cover, so when I take it off the car, I smell like cat ****.
You are wrong, it's not cruel to get rid of trouble, it IS cruel to watch them kill the wild life in MY yard. And since trapping and releasing doesn't seem to work, I will start putting poisoned rats around my yard and that will fix the freakin cats.
My yard is certified a wildlife area by the Audubon Society. I cannot have outside cats ruining that for me.
You animals are NOT allowed to bother me by freakin law! What the heck is wrong with you?...oh, YOU have outside cats. Dogs can't run loose, why can destructive cats????
You are completely wrong. And I'n sorry to upset you, but just come for 1 day and see what I put up with. This is not a sometime thing, it's an everyday thing, and frankly I am done, I have been given a 22. That will fix the problem and not bother me a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm very opposed to outdoor cats, but I have to agree that driving them out and dumping them is cruel to the cats and not something I can support. They sell cat repellent sprays and granular repellents that aren't expensive. More sophisticated options like motion-activated sprinklers also work well.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
We probably have more stray cats than people in Turkey. It is illegal here to "relocate" them, and shelters are few and far between, not to mention overcrowded. Even if you call the animal service at the local municipality, they *may* collect the cats (and dogs), do their shots, neuter them and then bring them back exactly where they picked them up. Our garden is visited by about a dozen strays (probably one of the reasons I found ticks on my tort this morning!). :(

A few cats can probably be dealt with; a dozen on a rotating basis - well, we just live with it.

I'm a cat owner, btw, keeping mine 100% indoors.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would continue trapping and dumping mysel. my cat is 1% inside never goes outside and actually shows no interest in going outside. I can't stand these people who get a cat then leave it outside 100% & claim It's there cat. SMH

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

Laying down screens like chicken wire or galvanized hardware cloth also helps prevent cats from stepping on the areas you don't want them to go.
Sorry I don't agree here in AZ wild cats are like rats but worse ( and you know what you do with rats ) they kill our lizards , they kill humming birds , and if I wanted a cat I would keep a house cat ( in the house were it would be safe and loved )
I don't leave my torts out side to run other people's yards or to get run over by some kids car .
You say take it to a pound where someone else will get the cat and let it go running around and kill more birds and lizards and the cute little found squirrels .
Just treat them like the rats they are !
And to you people that love cats I thank you for keeping them safe in the house !

GingerLove

5 Year Member
In my opinion, relocating them is better than killing them, but I think I understand both sides of the argument.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't like cats that have to live outside either. However, what ever you do, you should not harm the cat! Really, it's not by choice they are living outside, it's the owners choice. I don't agree with ever harming an animal for having bad or inconsiderate owners. Same for wild animals. How can one punish/kill a wild animal for being itself.
There are detergents out there that can be used to help keep the cats away. I would also talk to your neighbors. I would also check to see if there is any kind of ordinance that may be on your side. Good luck and remember it's really not the animals fault.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Don't blame people for not wanting to spend money on deterring cats ! Call it as it is people that fail to keep the cats they say they love SAFE in their house or their yard and away from those of us that don't want rats / cats !

M

Maggie Cummings

I did forget to mention the bird wings and bloody beaks underneath the bird feeder.

You are simply proving my point.
But seriously, try the can of black pepper on your old car, I did it to my car and the cat has never slept on it since. Easier than spending a pile of money. But a 22 would fix the problem, permanently

Prairie Mom

I completely understand. But I'm DONE with doing things that don't work. The last thing I want is for the "owners" to reclaim them and let them loose again. I've had to make my back porch totally enclosed as well as my tortoise pen and a garden area. I've dealt with pest animals in the past. Raccoons for example. I fought and lost for a long time until I resorted to killing them. Now I am raccoon free. I would not shoot a cat. But I am fine with relocating them. Even though I may be giving someone else the same problem by doing so.
It IS the owners, not the cats. But I can't relocate, or even punch in the face the owners. Nor can I force the irresponsible owners to act differently.
You happen to be a member that I like and I am not trying to upset you.
I respect you and like you a heck of a lot. I'm cool with having different opinions.

Prairie Mom

Retrieved by their owners so they can be put out again and cause damage to my possessions that cost money. I think it's mean and cruel for a trapped and re released cat to put scratches in my car, dump over expensive exotic plants on my deck and break them. Crap in my garden so when I am weeding I pick up cat crap with my bare hands. Sorry to speak so bluntly, but the rude inconsiderate owners don't care about those cats, and frankly, they are very lucky that I don't kill them after I see them robbing my bird feeder and killing my birds. If they can kill so many wild animals in MY yard, they can survive wherever I drop them. All the better if they don't. Just sayin.

You going to buy me chicken wire or hardware cloth and install it, NO? I didn't think so.
This summer alone, cats have killed many wild bunnies in my yard, untold numbers of birds, 25 quail in a covey, lost 8 baby quail. Put deep scratches in my hood that won't buff out. Knocked over 3 Hoya's that I had to send to Hawaii to buy. A male sprays my $350 car cover, so when I take it off the car, I smell like cat ****.
You are wrong, it's not cruel to get rid of trouble, it IS cruel to watch them kill the wild life in MY yard. And since trapping and releasing doesn't seem to work, I will start putting poisoned rats around my yard and that will fix the freakin cats.
My yard is certified a wildlife area by the Audubon Society. I cannot have outside cats ruining that for me.
You animals are NOT allowed to bother me by freakin law! What the heck is wrong with you?...oh, YOU have outside cats. Dogs can't run loose, why can destructive cats????
You are completely wrong. And I'n sorry to upset you, but just come for 1 day and see what I put up with. This is not a sometime thing, it's an everyday thing, and frankly I am done, I have been given a 22. That will fix the problem and not bother me a bit.

I'm uncertain if you are using "you" at the end of your statement to address me specifically or a general audience. It doesn't bother me either way, just in the slight off-chance you are addressing me specifically at the end there, I'll clarify how I keep my cats...
email cat enclosure 1.jpg

email angel cat enclosure.jpg

Everyone is entitled to an opinion here. I don't mind your opinion.

I agree with your concerns about wildlife and am a huge advocate for backyard biodiversity. So many species of bats are becoming endangered because of loss of habitat and white-nose syndrome. We don't have white-nose in my area, but even out here my Fish and Game's small animal biologists are trying to discourage cats being out overnight just to help endangered bats and other wildlife.

I happen to feel that picking up other people's pets whether they are neglected or not and dumping them somewhere away from home is wrong. -Heck-I even feel it's morally wrong. I feel the same way about intentionally killing other people's animals. Cruelty to the animal doesn't solve the problem with the human who will probably get another cat and do the same thing again. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Thanks for the conversation, everyone!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, as long as you've gone to the trouble of trapping the cat, why don't you take it to the animal shelter? At least that way the owner has a chance of getting his beloved pet back.

I have one house cat and 5 outside cats. I can find all my outside cats any time, day or night. They've been spayed and neutered and they stay home. But my neighbors all have my permission to throw cans or rocks or spray them with water if they see the cats on their property.

Status
Not open for further replies.