Area for a sulcata?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hey all, what are your preferences on the minimum you would go for a outside area for a sulcata?
I am wondering if I have enough sq/ft for 2 sulcata's. There is a sulcata in New York that the owner wants to rehome. It's been awhile and no takers.
I wouldn't mind another sully but want to be fair that they both of plenty of room.
Thanks Ray

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would think you need enough for 2 very large enclosures - one each.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all, what are your preferences on the minimum you would go for a outside area for a sulcata?
I am wondering if I have enough sq/ft for 2 sulcata's. There is a sulcata in New York that the owner wants to rehome. It's been awhile and no takers.
I wouldn't mind another sully but want to be fair that they both of plenty of room.
Thanks Ray
There is no scientific study done on this, so any answer you get, including mine, will just be someone's "feelings" on the matter. A 100 pound sulcata isn't going to drop dead if you put it in a 4x4 foot square enclosure, but anyone can see a number of reasons why that would be too small. Conversely, they don't need 10 square miles of space either. I feel comfortable recommending no smaller than 50x50 feet for a single adult sulcata as a minimum. They can certainly survive in something a little smaller than that, and bigger than that would be better, in my opinion, but it serves as a good starting point for discussion.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
There is no scientific study done on this, so any answer you get, including mine, will just be someone's "feelings" on the matter. A 100 pound sulcata isn't going to drop dead if you put it in a 4x4 foot square enclosure, but anyone can see a number of reasons why that would be too small. Conversely, they don't need 10 square miles of space either. I feel comfortable recommending no smaller than 50x50 feet for a single adult sulcata as a minimum. They can certainly survive in something a little smaller than that, and bigger than that would be better, in my opinion, but it serves as a good starting point for discussion.
Thanks Tom, that's what I was looking for. I will figure my square footage in the backyard and go from there. There are some cons that tell me not to do it. But financially it can be done and I know we could give him a good home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because of the road widening on my street I've had to move Dudley (100+lb sulcata) into the backyard. He now lives in a 20'x 20' space with access to a heated shelter outside those measurements. What used to be a lush, green grassy area is now bare dirt. He basically lives to eat and sleep, where before, when he was in his appx. 50' x 40' yard, he spent a good portion of his day marching and patrolling. Living in this small space is depressing for him. Bigger is always better.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks Yvonne, one thing that has held up my decision. Is that I am still waiting if the insurance company is going to approve a pool for me.
If that happens then definitely there won't be room for 2 sullies.
I still send interest to the owner about buying the vacant lot next to me.
That would be perfect, but properties around here have gone up in value considerably. If there is a down turn in real-estate maybe he will sell.
Have they completed the road widening yet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks Yvonne, one thing that has held up my decision. Is that I am still waiting if the insurance company is going to approve a pool for me.
If that happens then definitely there won't be room for 2 sullies.
I still send interest to the owner about buying the vacant lot next to me.
That would be perfect, but properties around here have gone up in value considerably. If there is a down turn in real-estate maybe he will sell.
Have they completed the road widening yet?
No, far from it. They expect it will take two years

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ray… i think you could easily divide your outside space in half based on pix you have posted over the years. My concern would be how you handle two monsters when it gets cold.

Good luck with your decision…👏🏻👍
I like it when it cools down. Opo doesn't spend as much time outside destroying things.
I am going to have to put some kind of guard on the lower glass of the french doors. He is going to break the glass the way he bangs into it.😖😖

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
We will be heading to Michigan on July 5th.
Gonna see my sons and grandkids. 😁
We are driving so it will take us 5 days.
With Rose's back all messed up and my conditions. We are only good for about 5 hrs a day driving.
Going to stay for about 3 weeks. The weekend of the 16th, 17th. Two of my sons and I are in a salmon tournament on lake Michigan. Can't wait,it has been 8 years since I fished this tournament.