Arizona baby desert tortoise...

leutseym

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, Arizona
Hi again everyone!

Yes, I still have the baby desert tortoise that was found in the ally that runs along the storage facility I manage. He has been doing pretty good so far, up until today. I had made him a nice big inside enclosure that he romps around in most of the morning, sleeps, gets back up for a bit, sleeps then all evening/night. This morning however, he didn't want to come out of his hide like he normally does. Little baby just wanted to stay in there and snooze. After around 10:00am "ish" I brought him out and held him for awhile. He slept in my hand (as usual) the rest of the morning. He has been trying to eat more today than I have seen him do since he was brought to me (last week). Then back to sleep he went. I got him up to sunbathe this afternoon , while he slept during that as well. He feels really warm in my hand sleeping now, with a dry/rubbery feel on his front parts. He is really still. He puts his head up a bit if I move my hand to watch him, sorta like he's nudging me to keep my hand cuttled around him. He doesn't open his eyes. Oh, ok I take that back. Now he just awoken and is trying to climb on the key board. I just put him back in his stomping grounds, and it looks like he is back trying to eat again. Ok, yes I am totally new at this, and a bit PARANOID, but I just want to be sure my "newbieness" isn't causing him to be ill, or anything worse. Is it normal for a baby to sleep all day, even if he hasn't this last week? Is it normal for his little body to feel so dry/rubbery? I am sure you want to know basics, what is he eating? Lighting? Using as subtrate? Soaking? Yes, he soaks everyday. I bought a salad plant from Home Depot he seems to like more than anything. He is eating a strawberry leaf right now. I seen him trying to eat an ant/grass out in garden yesterday. My lighting I am working on. My enclosure sits in a 2-3 foot high frame on wheels, so I am angling light underneath where his hide is. I watch it all evening to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Thermostat reads around 80 (not over) when it is in there. I have been taking him out to get sun every other day. Not for too long though, for Arizona just can't seem to get under 80 degrees with the sun baking down! The subtrate I am using is actual ground cover/moss from the lake shores smack dab from the desert ground where these guys originate from! Along with some rocks, live salad plant, grass plants (he loves to sleep on top of, not under which seems a bit odd! lol! Anything you can throw at me would be greatly appreciated!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Glad you got to keep him! Babies do sleep a lot. Additionally, his little internal clock may be telling him to brumate. Is there light in his enclosure 12 hours a day?

This week was the first my juvenile DTs stopped coming out of their hides. They'll be brumating within days.

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
thatrebecca said:
Glad you got to keep him! Babies do sleep a lot. Additionally, his little internal clock may be telling him to brumate. Is there light in his enclosure 12 hours a day?

This week was the first my juvenile DTs stopped coming out of their hides. They'll be brumating within days.

He is in my office with me all day, so we have the ceiling flourescent lights on during the day. I shut the ones overhead above and around him at night. My office is attached to my apartment...here is the baby sleeping in his (my) favorite spot! IMAG0363.jpgThis picture shows what I made for his enclosure. IMAG0368.jpgSee how I have the light angled from underneath (his hide not directly above it, but angled toward it). Do you think this will do ok??

And how sweet of your juveniles. Won't you miss them though? Isn't it around 3 months that they brumate? Is that the same as when they hibernate?

And I would like to personally thank AZtortMOM for all her kindness, her time (and patience) she has given to me, along with genuine care and concern for the baby and his well being! Your confidence in me is much appreciated as well! THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My lighting I am working on.

What does this mean ? :D

rubbery feel on his front parts.

Do you mean squishy on the shell? Or are you referring to the skin?

angling light underneath where his hide is

You can also use either a ceramic heat emitter or a night black heat bulb generating heat from above...

He doesn't open his eyes

I have to say that I see a baby that looks a bit dry/dehydrated....from the pics here....I would make sure that you are soaking this baby in warm water soaks for no less than 30 minutes every day....I also would make sure that you offer up artificial uva/uvb indoors for this tort....in addition to outside roaming/exercise/sunning time....

I would also spray water on any food offerings and I would be sure to offer some romaine and red/green leaf lettuce, I just feel that looking at the pic you really will want to get this little one hydrated....

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Absolutely. Good advice from Angela above. Little CDT is darling, but I agree, looks a little dry. Possibly from the days before found.
Babies must be hydrated. Vital. Their kidneys need the added support as they develop. Warm spa time, even twice a day, supervised. Aha, spaaa!
And remember, baby's enclosure ... hot/warm and humid = healthy and happy. : )

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
ascott said:
My lighting I am working on.

What does this mean ? :D

rubbery feel on his front parts.

Do you mean squishy on the shell? Or are you referring to the skin?

angling light underneath where his hide is

You can also use either a ceramic heat emitter or a night black heat bulb generating heat from above...

He doesn't open his eyes

I have to say that I see a baby that looks a bit dry/dehydrated....from the pics here....I would make sure that you are soaking this baby in warm water soaks for no less than 30 minutes every day....I also would make sure that you offer up artificial uva/uvb indoors for this tort....in addition to outside roaming/exercise/sunning time....

I would also spray water on any food offerings and I would be sure to offer some romaine and red/green leaf lettuce, I just feel that looking at the pic you really will want to get this little one hydrated....

By working on lighting, I don't know where exactly to put his lighting for night night time. I am a bit confused with his enclosure I made for him if it is ok to heat from beneath, rather than above.
I am referring to his skin on dry/rubbery part.
Yes, his shell is very dry especially the outline of the top shell. Could I rub some kind of oil (mineral or something natural) on it to help along with his soaks?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Absolutely. Good advice from Angela above. Little CDT is darling, but I agree, looks a little dry. Possibly from the days before found.
Babies must be hydrated. Vital. Their kidneys need the added support as they develop. Warm spa time, even twice a day, supervised. Aha, spaaa!
And remember, baby's enclosure ... hot/warm and humid = healthy and happy. : )

The baby is absolutely DARLING! I can't get over how sweet he (she?) is!
Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your baby needs an overhead basking spot for at least 12 hours a day. It is fine if he hides a lot during that time, but the basking spot should be available for him. I like to project the flood bulb directly down onto a lat rock and measure the temperature there. It should be right around 100. This will allow the baby to get under the light when he needs to warm up and move away to the cooler end of the enclosure when its time to cool off. 65-100 watt flood bulbs should work. Just adjust the bulb up or down to get the temp right.

80 is not warm enough. I would not shine a light into the hide and I would not warm from underneath.

It is fine to sun him if the outside temps are over 80. Just make sure there is plenty of shade available. They can still overheat and die on a sunny 75 degree day with no shade. Likewise they will be fine on a 100 degree day with proper shade and hides. Here are some enclosure ideas for outside:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-14680.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html

And here is what I consider the ultimate outdoor enclosure for these guys when they get a little older, especially in a climate like yours or mine. In your area with this species, you won't need the heat in this set up. I made it for sulcata and they do need the heat, but a DT won't, especially where you are.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

Also that water dish is not so good. You baby will do much better with a 4" terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate so its level. These are less than $2 at any hardware store or garden center.

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
Tom said:
Your baby needs an overhead basking spot for at least 12 hours a day. It is fine if he hides a lot during that time, but the basking spot should be available for him. I like to project the flood bulb directly down onto a lat rock and measure the temperature there. It should be right around 100. This will allow the baby to get under the light when he needs to warm up and move away to the cooler end of the enclosure when its time to cool off. 65-100 watt flood bulbs should work. Just adjust the bulb up or down to get the temp right.

80 is not warm enough. I would not shine a light into the hide and I would not warm from underneath.

It is fine to sun him if the outside temps are over 80. Just make sure there is plenty of shade available. They can still overheat and die on a sunny 75 degree day with no shade. Likewise they will be fine on a 100 degree day with proper shade and hides. Here are some enclosure ideas for outside:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-14680.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html

And here is what I consider the ultimate outdoor enclosure for these guys when they get a little older, especially in a climate like yours or mine. In your area with this species, you won't need the heat in this set up. I made it for sulcata and they do need the heat, but a DT won't, especially where you are.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

Also that water dish is not so good. You baby will do much better with a 4" terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate so its level. These are less than $2 at any hardware store or garden center.

Thanks Tom,
Always great to hear your advice and thoughts on. I actually do have one of those terra cotta saucers in here, just can't see from angle of picture taken. He usually won't drink from that one though, he just likes walking thru it, so funny!