Arizona Desert Torts for Adoption

Hjulmgunnar

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
If you are a permanent resident of Arizona and you have room in your yard to set up an enclosure then you might be interested in adopting a native Arizona Desert Tort.
I don't actually facilitate this, I saw a page on Arizona's state site. I will list the link below.
You must live in AZ to adopt one, and return the tort to the state of you choose to leave AZ. Lots of more info on the state site:

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/captive_tortoise_care.shtml

Hjulmgunnar

Montana
I read about the Utah thing too, apparently people taking in desert torts are unintentionaly causing the population to boom because of breeding. Its causing problems for wild torts because some that are captive are "escaping" (or probably rather, irresponiable people are letting them loose instead of rehoming them) and introducing dieases the native wild torts aren't used to.

So I'm guessing a lot of these Southwestern states that have native tortoise populations, have to prevent the potentional loss from diease and take care of the surplus captive population.

I feel concerned for the wild and captive torts, that's why I posted this here in hopes that some tort lovers in AZ can help out. If I lived there I'd definately take in a couple, but I live in Montana and this is definately no country for outdoor torts (although I do have a friend who made a massive indoor habitat in her heated garage for her sullies).

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
If you are a permanent resident of Arizona and you have room in your yard to set up an enclosure then you might be interested in adopting a native Arizona Desert Tort.
I don't actually facilitate this, I saw a page on Arizona's state site. I will list the link below.
You must live in AZ to adopt one, and return the tort to the state of you choose to leave AZ. Lots of more info on the state site:

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/captive_tortoise_care.shtml

I believe the most recent number I heard was 200 tortoises that they are trying to find homes for. That number came from a lady that had gone through the adoption process and now runs an approved habitat in Tucson.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
A very good read.....Thanks.

To bad that I lives in CA.