Arizona Sulcata Hatchlings!

Tortlex

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
If anyone is interested in Fin's sibling (pictured a few posts above), please feel free to contact me. I am looking to get him a great new home in Arizona, at the moment because it is too cold to ship the little guy. @AZtortMom @Grandpa Turtle 144 (You guys were suggestions from a very well-known and reputable member) ;)

Tortlex

Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone have an suggestions for getting a beautiful baby sulcata rehomed to a serious permanent owner in AZ? I really want Fin's sibling to get a great home where he/she can continue to grow super healthy.

Beautiful 5-month-old baby weighing in at 105 grams, perfect shell growth with ZERO signs of pyramiding...

Baby.jpg

Russiantortylady

Vermont
That was a wonderful story of the hatchlings. You are so lucky to have experienced that and they are so beautiful!!! I love the one with the unusual shell. It should be interesting to see how that little guy turns out!! My husband had purchased a Sulcata hatchling for me for Christmas this year but , in the meantime had bought me a Russian Tortoise named ( Chitty-Pahk-CHa), nic-named Chitty. Come to find out that Sulcata's are illegal in the state of Vermont where we live. Needless to say I am still very disappointed. Please keep us updated with their progress, as I would love to be one the followers.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There were a total of 9 additional hatchlings that my mother-in-law found in her yard about a month after my eggs hatched. When she rinsed them off it confirmed what I had seen from the first picture in the yard, a baby with a very interesting pattern of aberrant scutes...

View attachment 262112 View attachment 262123 View attachment 262113 View attachment 262122

I was immediately concerned that he would start growing in an unusual way, one that might harm him eventually because the first pic looked like he had no center dividing scute growth line and would eventually just grow longer, but not expand wider, which would be devastating and eventually fatal for the little tortoise. But upon seeing him cleaned off a bit, and later holding him in person, it was evident that he had a distinct central "line" from which the shell would eventually expand from. I find in completely fascinating that he has no central or "vertebral" scutes. The front and rear scutes are also very unique. He also has never completely puffed out or unfolded on the underside. His underside still looks that way. He is also a much more rounded shape in comparison to normal sulcatas which are more oblong in shape. You can see this in the comparison shot with him and his siblings above.

Here is a picture of him outside...

View attachment 262114

And then here he is just chilling in my hands, looks at those legs astretchin! Haha!

View attachment 262115

This little guy has the coolest personality, he loves warm water soaks and literally lifts his head pointing straight up when you drip warm water on his little head. Such a cool little lifeform.

View attachment 262120

Here are some more close-up shots of him soaking in his daily warm water bath so you can see the uniqueness of this little one...

View attachment 262116 View attachment 262117 View attachment 262118 View attachment 262119 View attachment 262121

I'd be interested to hear what everyone who stumbles across this thread thinks of this little cute anomaly. I wish I could see what he is going to look like as a full grown adult sulcata!

View attachment 262112 View attachment 262113 View attachment 262114 View attachment 262115 View attachment 262116 View attachment 262117 View attachment 262118 View attachment 262119 View attachment 262120 View attachment 262121 View attachment 262122 View attachment 262123
I guess if you're alive you don't have to be perfect. You can be unique. I have a brother like that.