Artemis has always showed a waistline

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Really? I have never heard that terminology. I have only heard it called the peanut shape, and a waistline
Sapphire had a waistline when I first got him. He's a little tortoise still but over the years he filled out and got the middle age spread. This is a subject I'm not totally sure about. So if an expert says different believe them. I think your tortoise is still fairly young though. Sapphire was maybe 4 or 5 years and your tortoise is around 6 but a larger type so it would take longer to get there and fill out..🙏

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sapphire had a waistline when I first got him. He's a little tortoise still but over the years he filled out and got the middle age spread. This is a subject I'm not totally sure about. So if an expert says different believe them. I think your tortoise is still fairly young though. Sapphire was maybe 4 or 5 years and your tortoise is around 6 but a larger type so it would take longer to get there and fill out..🙏
I always thought the females got that shape. But I'm no expert, specially with RF. Possibly both can get it?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I always thought the females got that shape. But I'm no expert, specially with RF. Possibly both can get it?
On my Russian it wasn't pronounced. I just thought it kind of designated that he was a teenager. And since a tortoise grows at a slow pace (in only theory) their parts could fill out slow too like a human teenager. See how dumb I am 😭 I tried to Google wasping in a tortoise and couldn't find a thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
On my Russian it wasn't pronounced. I just thought it kind of designated that he was a teenager. And since a tortoise grows at a slow pace (in only theory) their parts could fill out slow too like a human teenager. See how dumb I am 😭 I tried to Google wasping in a tortoise and couldn't find a thing.
I don't think Russians take on a different shape at all. The females are usually bigger is all. Only the RF takes on the hour glass shape that I know of.
Russian males also don't concave.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't think Russians take on a different shape at all. The females are usually bigger is all. Only the RF takes on the hour glass shape that I know of.
Russian males also don't concave.
It wasn't pronounced. He just seemed to not look mature. I don't know how to describe it for you to understand what I mean. He just looked thinner through the waste but now he doesn't. I don't even know if that is a problem for RFs. Is it? I couldn't find by Google the term wasping of a tortoises shell and I sure in the heck ain't going to Facebook to find out what it is.🤗