Artist looking for Galapagos Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfahnestock

5 Year Member
Hello Tortoise Forum!

I am a Southern California based artist who is working on a sculpture of a grouping of Galapagos Tortoises and I am looking for models. I plan on contacting the San Diego Zoo but I was wondering if anyone here could guide me to a breeding program or private owner where I would be able to get a bit closer. I am really in need of some observation time so that I can better understand the movement, character, and textures of the shell and skin. Photographs and general research has been good to start with but there is nothing like spending time drawing from life.

Thank you for your help.

Best
-McLean

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We have a member in SoCal who took in the Galops and Aldabs when Casa de Tortuga closed its doors. I'm trying to remember her name. She doesn't post much at all. I know she's also a member of some of the YahooGroups. I'll keep digging in my memory banks and try to come up with it. "Sharon" springs to mind, but I'm not sure. I'll get it eventually. Give me some time.

Oh..and...Welcome, McLean!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Moorpark college has a 'zoo' and they have Clarence... he also has a FB page.. They are in Moorpark, near Simi Valley...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
We have a member in SoCal who took in the Galops and Aldabs when Casa de Tortuga closed its doors. I'm trying to remember her name. She doesn't post much at all. I know she's also a member of some of the YahooGroups. I'll keep digging in my memory banks and try to come up with it. "Sharon" springs to mind, but I'm not sure. I'll get it eventually. Give me some time.

Oh..and...Welcome, McLean!

Is this who your looking for Yvonne:

"The Turtlenutz...." <[email protected]>

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes! THanks, Jacqui. I knew "nutz" was in the username, however using our search feature, nothing turned up showing "nutz.'

Oogway

5 Year Member
Denmark
i searched the forum and found something about a Captive Bred Wildlife Foundation, breeding galapagos torts. In arizona though, but i dont know what your travel options are or even where arizona is compared to california to be honest (im not american).

artical about them here: http://www.tortoise.org/archives/galopgee.html

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I do hope that once you complete this project, that you come and share lots of pictures with us! :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oogway said:
i searched the forum and found something about a Captive Bred Wildlife Foundation, breeding galapagos torts. In arizona though, but i dont know what your travel options are or even where arizona is compared to california to be honest (im not american).

artical about them here: http://www.tortoise.org/archives/galopgee.html

I Believe this would be Jeff Gee in southern Arizona, Portal AZ. Don't know if he allows people to come there or not.

If I were you, I would go to the San Diego zoo. They have a wonderful galapagos exhibit where you can sit and watch a dozen or more of them. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and was mesmerized by the galops. You can get really up close and personal with them.

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
their is the wildlife zoo right outside of Pheonix AZ that has several large torts that you can almost touch. You some try their they are very interactive and would most likely let you get close.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
mcfahnestock said:
Hello Tortoise Forum!

I am a Southern California based artist who is working on a sculpture of a grouping of Galapagos Tortoises and I am looking for models. I plan on contacting the San Diego Zoo but I was wondering if anyone here could guide me to a breeding program or private owner where I would be able to get a bit closer. I am really in need of some observation time so that I can better understand the movement, character, and textures of the shell and skin. Photographs and general research has been good to start with but there is nothing like spending time drawing from life.

Thank you for your help.

Best
-McLean

There is a guy in South Texas who has Galops his name is ERL...greg may know him.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
AustinASU said:
mcfahnestock said:
Hello Tortoise Forum!

Thank you for your help.

Best
-McLean

There is a guy in South Texas who has Galops his name is ERL...greg may know him.

I do not know of any close to California.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I contacted Sharon and she is agreeable to talk to the artist. Her email address is t u r t l e n u t z @ g m a i l . c o m

Sharon and her husband were the lucky recipients of most of the large Aldabran and Galapagos tortoises that were kept at the Casa de Tortuga, and they also have Michael Jackson's Aldabran tortoises. In her reply back to me she told me that they did indeed have Michael Jackson's tortoise at the show this past week-end, and that they had to buy a piece of heavy duty machinery to lift the tortoises in order to bring them to the show. Darn it! Wish I lived closer. I would love to have seen that.

Status
Not open for further replies.