Arundo donax - Giant cane, Carrizo, Arundo, Spanish cane, Colorado River Reed, Wild cane, and Giant

Cherepakha

Location (City and/or State)
Portugal
Hi guys!

So, here in Portugal, we are surrounded by these plants (yay, flora). Lately I've learned that my Russian can eat the leaves of corn plants (yay!). Then I started noticing that there aren't many 'wild' zea mays plants, but LOTS that look like them, which I later discovered to be the Arundo donax. So, I started looking up if Russians can eat these. Other than now knowing they grow in their natural habitat, I haven't actually been able to discover if they can eat them!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arundo_donax

Does anybody here know?
My usual bibles don't have an answer and they are difficult to contact (I have to create a Yahoo account for one, no thanks).

http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page6.htm

This one I have been able to contact and am currently waiting for a reply:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

I'll share the reply here if anybody else is interested in knowing if tortoises can eat them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would say that cane and corn is not toxic but they wouldn't eat it, nor does it really pose, much of a source of nutrients to a tortoise. Especially for a Russian. I'd stick with broad leaf weeds and grasses. Dandelion, chicory, thistles, Bermuda, buffalo, couch, and st.Augustine grasses.

Cherepakha

Portugal
Hello Kelly, thank you for your reply!

I've recently found some chicory and pricly sow thistle in our neighbourhood, the other plants don't seem to grow in my area :( . I have malva, hibiscus, agave, aloe vera, petunias, pelargonium and sinningia at home. Sometimes I fead her cabbage, brocoli, a slice of carrot. But I'm always looking for more things to mix up her diet.
Therefore I am looking at plants in our neighbourhood (that's how I came by the thistle and chicory). Was really hoping this plant would be useful for her diet and shade in an outdoor terrarium, as I can almost pick them right outside our door.

Cherepakha

Portugal
Here is the answer from the tortoisetable.com:

"I've looked up Arundo donax and although it is a member of the Poaceae family, which has many edible species, I think I might stay clear of this one. One source I read said that the plant contains fairly high levels of DMT (Dimethyltryptamine), which can cross the blood-brain barrier in humans and act as a powerful hallucinogenic (lol -- so I'm surprised that some people aren't smoking it!). I found another source that said the plant was thought to be very toxic, but that was based on a misunderstanding of the plant's chemistry. All of the research of course is geared to human consumption, but in the absence of any research involving the plant and reptiles, I think it's best to err on the side of caution and not feed it to your tortoise (although I doubt that a few accidental nibbles would do any harm)."

They are going to make an entry for it on their website

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Zea mays doesn't grow wild anywhere. It was developed by the Native Americans of Mexico and Central America from a wild grass known as teosinte. Corn, or maize as the Brits prefer, doesn't release its kernels well and so it doesn't go feral well. Hope that's not too off topic.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hello Kelly, thank you for your reply!

I've recently found some chicory and pricly sow thistle in our neighbourhood, the other plants don't seem to grow in my area :( . I have malva, hibiscus, agave, aloe vera, petunias, pelargonium and sinningia at home. Sometimes I fead her cabbage, brocoli, a slice of carrot. But I'm always looking for more things to mix up her diet.
Therefore I am looking at plants in our neighbourhood (that's how I came by the thistle and chicory). Was really hoping this plant would be useful for her diet and shade in an outdoor terrarium, as I can almost pick them right outside our door.
Stay away from feeding cabbage and broccoli, they're high in goitonoids(spelling is probably off) they can do some damage to a tortoise over time.

Can you get dandelions or endive?