Asian Box Turtle (Cuora amboinensis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
Hey, I have one or to questions i was wondereing you guys could help me with.

Im not sure if you guys could help me with a Semi-Aquatic Tortoise/Turtle buy anything would be helpful.

The kind if Turtle i have is an Asian Box Turtle. It's name is Hercules.

36acf3fb84ae__1268140373000.jpeg

I have come over some websites (Tortoise Trust Web) that said it is aquatic and spends 90% of its time in the water. I was wondering if it would be better to fill 50/50 water or even 25/75 water? My other question would be would should the bedding be? I have Alfalfa Bedding and I plan to change it soon becuase when it gets wet it gets mushy and changes colors and hard underneath all the bedding.

My Turtle also came from a Pet Shop and when I look at it, it has a small yellow spot where the light is reflecting in the picture. It doesnt necceserly look like shell rot. Could it be the shell loosing color? If it is how could i help it.

And how much should i feed it? I understand feeding it everyday but how much?

And is it safe to let my turtle roam out? I've checked my yard for anything that could be dangerous. I live in New England and not to far away from New York City and my turtle in its home needs high temperatures of 80-85 so im not sure if i should be letting it out even if it's warm since it is a Semi-Tropical turtle

If Somebody could answer these questions i would be greatly helpful.:) And yes im a new to keeping Tortoises.

S

Scooter

Welcome to the forum! There are lots of very helpful and knowledgeable people on here. You should have no problem find the information you need.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
We have a box turtle section -youre more liable to get answers from experienced box turtle owners. The majority of box turtles do not swim in deep water

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I don't have asian box turtles, so I don't know the specifics of their care, but I do know about box turtles in general. First, get him off the alfalfa. He needs moisture and humidity. He will dehydrate quickly on those. You can use coconut coir or peat moss - wet it down. I know these box turtles are more aquatic than north american box turtles, but I don't really know how much. I know some people that keep them in a pond even.

Go to boxturtlesite.info for some good information. Good luck! :)

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
Thanks, my Cousin has one with the coconut coir and a Asian Box Turtle and it tottaly gets all the bedding in its little pool he has at the other end of the tank. Would that mean just constently cleaning the pool or should the bedding be pressed so it wont stick to my turtle as muchh?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Have you considered a waterland tub? They are rather expensive, but I think they are great for aquatic species.

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
What should i use as a temporary pool area? A small plastic container?

I have a small pool area but its to small and not smooth.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If the tank holds water, I'd take out the substrate and fill the tank just high enough so it just covers the top of his/her shell. Add a smooth rock for a basking spot and a lamp over that for a hotspot.

Danny

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
Ok and should i be feeding Tortoise Food or Turtle Pellets. They have these Pellets that are for Turtles and Land Turtles should i be feeing it those?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can try Reptomin (long green stick) or Wardley's turtle sticks. Worms are always a big hit with them. :)

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We also had good luck for the inside environment to use a cat litter pan for the pool. Rocks on the outside edge to help keep the bedding from all being dragged into the water helps too.

Others like the worms, but fruits, various greens, blooms are readily eaten by ours. Basicly anything I would feed my hingebacks or redfoots they like.The food sticks aren't in their top menu items, but will eat them. They also enjoy their feeder fish (live and dead), various bugs like butterworms, superworms, even crickets at times, they like the krill and shrimp too. Almost forgot they enjoy eating water plants like water hyacinths too. Even left over dead feeder mice. The ones we have are almost like the semi water turtle equal to the Russians who can be major chow hounds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi PTzFinest97 ( is there another name we can call you? How about "PT":

801080a2kww7eavd.gif

I have had good luck tilting the bin. I buy the largest plastic bin that I can find, then prop up one end of it. I use cypress mulch and the mulch down at the lower end is quite wet while the mulch up on the upper end and where the hide is will be dryer. You can also buy a paint roller pan and use that for water.

Your tortoise won't do well outside until the weather warms up. Best to set him up indoors in a very large plastic tub then when it warms up outside he can go out to a safe pen outside. And they need a nice big place to go completely in the water.

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
Thanks Everybody and Yes you can call me PT :) I like the paint roller idea thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.