Asian/Hispanic Markets

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Just a few examples of how great and cheap these markets are especially in the off seasons. I spent $10 and easily have two weeks of food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Holy cow! I had no idea opuntia pads were worth so much! I need to start selling them! I feed out ten 5 gallon buckets of those every week in summer, and I still have to cut the main stands back every fall.

daniellenc

Maryland
1861CBD1-3E18-4B0F-92CC-280E9CD57EAE.jpeg And the brats dinner of baby bok choy, mango, dandelion greens, and flowers, arugula, and cactus just got ignored!!! Some of these he hasn’t had in a month but he’s not one to ignore food.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Holy cow! I had no idea opuntia pads were worth so much! I need to start selling them! I feed out ten 5 gallon buckets of those every week in summer, and I still have to cut the main stands back every fall.

Don’t get too excited Tom. They are three pounds to the dollar (you read that right) in the big Mexican markets in LA. You’ll have to find the right buyer. :)

YMMV. They are $2/pound near me as well and they grow here!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don’t get too excited Tom. They are three pounds to the dollar (you read that right) in the big Mexican markets in LA. You’ll have to find the right buyer. :)

YMMV. They are $2/pound near me as well and they grow here!
Darn it! You mean I'm not rich and I can't retire yet??? ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No but perhaps you can feed even more tortoises than you have now!
Actually, funny you should say that…

Last year I took several 18 gallon tubs of surplus opuntia over to my friend with the Galapagos herd. The kids had a blast hand feeding them, and I'm pretty sure all the tortoises were smiling too! :D

daniellenc

Maryland
Tortoises, what you gonna do? Lol

I left it there he'll eat it while I'm working today or be very hungry for dinner tonight. He actually does not like cactus (weirdo) but it's so cheap and easy to get I'm trying to change that. He nibbled on the greens but also did not like that I bought an Asian mango (bigger weirdo). Tonight he will get a tiny piece of pumpkin, his spicy herb green mix, a bit of hasta. and some dandelion greens mixed in.......may be nice and throw 2-3 mazuri pellets in there
Ingredients
Baby Romaine (Organic), Baby Chard (Organic), Baby Mizuna (Organic), Baby Red Leaf (Organic), Baby Green Leaf (Organic), Baby Oak Leaf (Organic), Radicchio (Organic), Parsley (Organic), Dill (Organic), Cilantro (Organic), Baby Arugula (Organic), Baby Spinach (Organic), Baby Butter Lettuce (Organic).

These are most of the ingredients except my stores version has no romaine, butter lettuce, or spinach. He hasn't had pumkin in months so I'm sure I'll get major attitude on that one, lol