Asking new posters their real names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Fine with me, Jacqui.

And "Sammy" my last post was directed to Yvonne. You posted right before I did. Sorry for the confusion.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Jacqui - I think that just about covers it!

The 'your' in the last sentence should be a 'you're' :)

H x

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It would be so simple if everyone just put the name thay want to be called in their signature. Then we'd all know what to call each other. It wouldn't even have to be your real name, just the name that you want everyone to call you.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
terryo said:
It would be so simple if everyone just put the name thay want to be called in their signature. Then we'd all know what to call each other. It wouldn't even have to be your real name, just the name that you want everyone to call you.

Also agreed. I enjoyed being welcomed when we first joined, and came for advice but also to be able to converse with others that shared our passion of tortoises and animals. I don't think the way Yvonne originally posted was intrusive or demanding at all but friendly and welcoming. I felt like everyone was welcoming and very helpful. Lately the forum is filled with many threads challenging every bit of everything. And yes I know this is allowed on the forum and I enjoy debates but I almost feel like you have to tip toe around the forum a lot more than you used to. This is just my opinion. I think everyone has made great points on the subject from all angles though, just thought I'd share how I felt. IMHO.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
Ok...I get it!!! I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I was just trying to be friendly.

Does this offend:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your problem.

This is great. Now you can just copy and paste it. :D

SulcataSquirt said:
Lately the forum is filled with many threads challenging every bit of everything. And yes I know this is allowed on the forum and I enjoy debates but I almost feel like you have to tip toe around the forum a lot more than you used to. This is just my opinion. I think everyone has made great points on the subject from all angles though, just thought I'd share how I felt. IMHO.

This has happened a couple of times in my two years here. It seems to fade away and everything goes back to normal after a while. It seems unavoidable when you consider the number of personalities represented here. Overall, this forum is heaping full of nice, helpful, knowledgeable, intelligent, good intentioned people. I love it here and it does feel like a community of friends most of the time. We have a grump or two and the occasional troll pops up, but over all this is a fantastic group.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'm of the opinion that First Name and General Location (state or country) is about as much info as is appropriate for Newbies, particularily youngsters, to share and feel that, should someone put in more, a mod should *** - X out the further details, and send the newbie a short explanation as to why.

Or maybe put up a short "stickie" on online safety guidelines, whichever is thought to be the better idea.

This is a wonderful and SAFE site and I'm for all of us striving to keep it as such. :cool:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Terry Allan Hall said:
I'm of the opinion that First Name and General Location (state or country) is about as much info as is appropriate for Newbies, particularily youngsters, to share and feel that, should someone put in more, a mod should *** - X out the further details, and send the newbie a short explanation as to why.

Or maybe put up a short "stickie" on online safety guidelines, whichever is thought to be the better idea.

This is a wonderful and SAFE site and I'm for all of us striving to keep it as such. :cool:
Terry if that is your real name.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
:(
dmmj said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Terry if that is your real name.

OK, ya caught me...my name is really Quazimodo Ezekial Faunbacher, but I've been living under "Terry Allan Hall" since the Dept. of Homeland Paranoia put me in the Witless Protection Program and shipped me off to The Republic (used to be a New Yawker)... :p

Oh, darn...

M

Maggie Cummings

I think Yvonne's greeting was fine when TFO was smaller and and it's members were closer and more friendly. Now we are big and the closeness is disappearing and even those of us who spend a lot of time here don't know most people. I do like to know someone's first name as some user names are hard to pronounce. I'd hate to get caught saying "did you read what ujujubee had to say today?" (I don't mean any disrespect, it was just a good example) It's easy to know my name from reading my user name and I wish that's how it was with everyone.

Also I personally don't think children should be allowed to join. I am very tired of juvenile conversations on what should be a grown up forum. I also don't think that children should be allowed to own chelonia as it seems they end up dying every time.

I know some of us are not here to make friends or chat, but some of us are. We want to have conversations with others who own turtles or tortoises and talk about how big Bob and Aladar are getting.

Also with a forum this large there's always going to be someone who doesn't like something. Yvonne has been asking people their names for 5 or 6 years now and it's never bothered anyone before. So it's alright with me emysemys...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, maybe not 5 or 6 years, but for a long time! :p

The trouble with stickys (and I agree that Jacqui's sticky is a good one), is no one reads them. We've had a couple of new members post their first post since the sticky and its obvious they didn't read it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Maybe when someone new joins, you should just ask them to put a name in their signature that can be used. They can put any name they want to.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I went back to my first post and Yvonne didn't have to ask me my name or where i was from... I was a good girl and filled out my profile :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
StudentoftheReptile said:
Hey, I'm not a grump! I'm a realist...there's a difference!:cool:

Hahaha. I was NOT referring to you, goofball. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
New welcome macro
Name Age Local Blood type Fear Weaknesses

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You forgot how many fillings in your teeth!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:
Maybe when someone new joins, you should just ask them to put a name in their signature that can be used. They can put any name they want to.

Sorry, I can't do that. Would be wrong to ask them to do something, even I do not do. ;):D

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Jujubees are my 2nd favorite candy next to Blow Pops.

I'm Mike from Cleveland Ohio and I love me some candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.