Aspen Bedding v. Cypress Mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

grundalowtortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mi
As we are getting ready to load up our tort table with substrate, we've basically narrowed it down to Aspen Bedding and Cypress Mulch.

For you experienced Hermanns owners, what do you recommend and what are some of the advantages and disadvantages you (or your torts) have experienced?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Well I have a Russian and not a Hermann, but my opinion is the same for each species.
I would choose Cypress mulch over Aspen bedding, the main reason being you can keep the Cypress mulch wet to keep the humidity up in your tortoise's enclosure.
MANY people on here use Cypress and they love it and their tortoises love it. I personally use top soil (sometimes mixed with coco coir.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From reading the forums, I've come to understand that quite a few Hermann's keepers like to use the aspen bedding. They provide humidity in other ways, like humid hides.

Here's a link to a good care sheet written by one of our members, HermanniChris:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hermann-s-Tortoise-Care-Sheet

Looks like he prefers the aspen bedding.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have 2 Hermanns and they live on Aspen. I have a humidifier in their room. I have a humid hides in their 2 enclosures :)

Kuro

5 Year Member
i use Coco Soft which is like coco coir but bigger pieces but not hard chunks or anything and no soaking needed comes in a bag just have to put it in their enclosure.

but am thinking of switching to cypress mulch or something similar thats good for my two Hermann's as the coco soft is expensive and it takes a good amount to fill both enclosures and i know i could get more cypress mulch for less money

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I made the switch from aspen to cypress a while back and would not go back to aspen.

It holds moisture very well and doesn't mold. I keep it several inches deep and my babies (greeks) dig down in the damp parts and completely bury themselves at night.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I keep the adult Hermanns on Aspen and hatchlings on Cypress. I will probably go to Cypress for everything but have not done so yet as I feel its easier to find turds in the Aspen. I like to spot clean frequently, and its easier on Aspen. For humidity reasons I think Cypress is the clear winner.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Cypress mulch hands down. Allows for easier burrowing, and also retains more humidity (although the substrate shouldn't be wet, only a bit moist). It's also easier to work with as it can be easily patted down while aspen might leave little wood splinters. Cypress mulch is VERY expensive and hard to find up here in Canada, but I still recommend it due to it's high reputation.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I us to use Aspen when i first got Shelby but was struggling with humidity so i stopped using it i heard good things about Cypress mulch but could not find it were i live so i am using a mix of Coconut Humus and Orchid Bark which does not mould and smell great

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Cypress mulch fan...a 2 cu. ft./45# bag is about $3, and equals about 2 changes per enclosure (two)...so, about $.75 a change! Easy to keep the humidity right where it needs to be, too.

tortoises101, how much is a equivalent-sized bag up in Canada? Would it be cost effective to order it from the US?

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I got cypress mulch when i set up Mylos tank before he arrived and it had bugs in it. I emptied it, cleaned it and used Aspen next. I put a moist place for him but he never liked it so i took it out. He seems to be doing great. when we build the tort table i think we will use both in it. I haven't had any problems with mold and he loves to dig under it when he goes to sleep for the night or a nap. That has just been my newbie experience. I am no expert we have only had him for bout 5 weeks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think this might depend on your house and your climate. It is very dry here so I'd use the cypress. If I lived in the bayou I might use the aspen. The age of the tort matters too. For a baby, I'd want it more humid and for an adult more dry would probably be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.