Aspen Shavings...ok to use as substrate with my situation?

Legmaker72

Location (City and/or State)
South West Florida
I've read through a lot of posts and I'm still not sure about my decision to use aspen shavings as my substrate.

I'm in SW. Florida, so humidity is not an issue to maintain, I have a 7 y/o Marginated tortoise.
Working on a new enclosure and I'm thinking of trying the aspen shavings. I adopted her recently from my brother and he had her on aspen. Said it was easy to maintain and it was absorbent for clean up.
Just wanted to know if it was safe to use with her and if there were any draw backs to its use etc...
Thanks in advance !
Christopher.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use them. Even in FL, indoor enclosures are too dry with heating, AC and heat lamps. You need a damp substrate and a humid hide. Can't do that with Aspen bedding.

Aspen also poses a greater risk of impaction in my experience. I've seen several aspen impacted reptiles, but I've never seen any coco coir or orchid bark impacted animals.

W Shaw

I started with Aspen, but now I'm getting ready to switch it out for a couple of reasons. As Tom said, it's pretty dry and dusty. Ronan seems to get the dust in his nose when he beds down for the night -- gets all burrowed and then kinda huffs or sneezes a couple of times, just like a human who's stirred up a bunch of dust. Also, although it's very fine, the bits are not like sawdust, but more like tiny, sharp-ended slivers. I've never found them really embedded but i have found them sort of just barely attached. Doesn't seem to bother him and they can just be brushed off, but I don't like the idea of tiny slivers near his eyes.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well, if you are in Florida and you want to use shavings, go with Cypress. It will last for several years and it's local to you. It does not mold and holds and releases water real well.

W Shaw

Forgot to mention... not really related to tortoise health. but the aspen needs to be replaced regularly and it goes everywhere when you grab a handful or scoop of it. When I thought Aspen was going to be the best thing for Ronan I didn't worry about that aspect, but now that I know orchid bark is better for him, I'm looking forward to being rid of all that aspen getting into everything.