Aspiring Tort owner looking for enclosure advice

Princeofpita

Location (City and/or State)
UT
Hello all!
I’m new to the world of tortoises and would like some advice about the enclosure I’m setting up for western hermanns. I have read both Tom’s guide as well as hermannichris’ guide and am striving to follow both as well as I can.

Currently I have a 2ft by 2ft by 4ft stock tank (I know a closed chamber could be beneficial but am working with what I have right now). Using a 24in UVB HO strip light paired with a 100watt halogen bulb and CHE. The hot spot sits at 93-100 degrees from time on to fully heated. Ambient on the hot side is around 80 degrees. The cool side drops to about 76 at the lowest and at night the whole enclosure is high to mid 70s. I am using top soil mixed with peat moss (I know Tom’s guide recommends orchid bark and Chris’ has cypress mulch topper) so I plan to add a layer of orchid bark over the top. The humidity levels drop to 50 percent during the day but no lower and hit 85-90% after being sprayed down. A humid hide has been provided that is always around 90-100%. It is not 100% finished yet but curious as to any recommendations or things to change!

Humidity is one thing that stresses me out as obviously it will not be as easy to maintain or keep consistent as a closed chamber. If this is something that is an absolute must to foster a healthy baby then I will find a work around!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Take a saw horse or build a saw horse type frame that will fit over the enclosure and hang you lights/heat from that and then use plastic to drape over the whole thing. Not the best closed chamber but better then no closed chamber.

Princeofpita

UT
Take a saw horse or build a saw horse type frame that will fit over the enclosure and hang you lights/heat from that and then use plastic to drape over the whole thing. Not the best closed chamber but better then no closed chamber.
Awesome idea! I’ll definitely look into that!

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
Ditto what Wellington said. I have an Eastern Hermann hatchling. We built a frame that sits down in my 2x3 foot storage tote and I have a clear shower curtain draped over the frame and I hold it against the frame and tub with clips. When secured well, it holds humidity in upper 60s to 70s when lights are on and over 90 when lights are off.

JasperFossils

Holland
Hello all!
I’m new to the world of tortoises and would like some advice about the enclosure I’m setting up for western hermanns. I have read both Tom’s guide as well as hermannichris’ guide and am striving to follow both as well as I can.

Currently I have a 2ft by 2ft by 4ft stock tank (I know a closed chamber could be beneficial but am working with what I have right now). Using a 24in UVB HO strip light paired with a 100watt halogen bulb and CHE. The hot spot sits at 93-100 degrees from time on to fully heated. Ambient on the hot side is around 80 degrees. The cool side drops to about 76 at the lowest and at night the whole enclosure is high to mid 70s. I am using top soil mixed with peat moss (I know Tom’s guide recommends orchid bark and Chris’ has cypress mulch topper) so I plan to add a layer of orchid bark over the top. The humidity levels drop to 50 percent during the day but no lower and hit 85-90% after being sprayed down. A humid hide has been provided that is always around 90-100%. It is not 100% finished yet but curious as to any recommendations or things to change!

Humidity is one thing that stresses me out as obviously it will not be as easy to maintain or keep consistent as a closed chamber. If this is something that is an absolute must to foster a healthy baby then I will find a work around!
How many do you have, how old are they?

Princeofpita

UT
How many do you have, how old are they?
Currently none. I want to get everything set before purchasing any. I plan on getting 1 or 2. Have yet to do more research into wether it would be beneficial having more than 1.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Currently none. I want to get everything set before purchasing any. I plan on getting 1 or 2. Have yet to do more research into wether it would be beneficial having more than 1.
There are many threads on this forum about the dangers of having 2 torts housed together regardless of their sex. Inevitably one of them seeks to get the other out of their territory & bullies. Since the other tort can't leave, it doesn't flourish. Sometimes it gets violent. So please do some some reading along these lines. Torts are solitary animals in the wild. They meet to mate or fight.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Don't get 2 unless you can have 2 separate enclosures- torts should never be kept in pairs. Doesn't matter if they are same sex or male/female or siblings - torts are solitary creatures and find it very stressful sharing their space unless it is a massive space where they can avoid each other. One will become dominant and bully the other causing serious injury and eventually death.

Have you looked at the Lifetime Raised Garden beds? They are great enclosures. 2 in kit which can be stacked for a 4 x 4 and extended to 4 x 8
1629244204516.png

Princeofpita

UT
There are many threads on this forum about the dangers of having 2 torts housed together regardless of their sex. Inevitably one of them seeks to get the other out of their territory & bullies. Since the other tort can't leave, it doesn't flourish. Sometimes it gets violent. So please do some some reading along these lines. Torts are solitary animals in the wild. They meet to mate or fight.
Yes! I’m sorry, to clarify I would have two in separate enclosures when kept indoors over the winter and possibly put together in a large outdoor enclosure. I still have yet to read into how much space would be needed for two or three. As for now the plan is just one though.

Princeofpita

UT
Don't get 2 unless you can have 2 separate enclosures- torts should never be kept in pairs. Doesn't matter if they are same sex or male/female or siblings - torts are solitary creatures and find it very stressful sharing their space unless it is a massive space where they can avoid each other. One will become dominant and bully the other causing serious injury and eventually death.

Have you looked at the Lifetime Raised Garden beds? They are great enclosures. 2 in kit which can be stacked for a 4 x 4 and extended to 4 x 8
View attachment 331133
Awesome, thank you for the input and information. I will certainly check out other forums about it still. The plan for now however is just one. I love that garden bed idea though! I’m definitely going to look into those.

JasperFossils

Holland

View attachment 331133

I had 2 back in the day. I was 9 at the time and didn't know much about tortoises. I got recommended to buy two. one always was the underdog. he eventually died. I recently realised the cause of death. dont make the same mistake @Princeofpita

JasperFossils

Holland
Yes! I’m sorry, to clarify I would have two in separate enclosures when kept indoors over the winter and possibly put together in a large outdoor enclosure. I still have yet to read into how much space would be needed for two or three. As for now the plan is just one though.
I would not recommend to let small ones live outside, they can be preyed. on.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Awesome, thank you for the input and information. I will certainly check out other forums about it still. The plan for now however is just one. I love that garden bed idea though! I’m definitely going to look into those.
One tort will be great. Groups sometimes work if the gender mix is right and you have the space to allow them to get away from each other but in confined enclosures even that could be risky.
There is a lot of old and incorrect information still circulating on other forums and social media etc .This forum is full of up to date information from keepers worldwide with decades of experience some of whom have been involved in research and thankfully share their findings with us. Best to stick to one reliable forum rather than pick and mix with the others. You only have to search this forum for sad stories of sick, injured and lost torts who have been kept in pairs - their keepers have learned the hard way.

Princeofpita

UT
One tort will be great. Groups sometimes work if the gender mix is right and you have the space to allow them to get away from each other but in confined enclosures even that could be risky.
There is a lot of old and incorrect information still circulating on other forums and social media etc .This forum is full of up to date information from keepers worldwide with decades of experience some of whom have been involved in research and thankfully share their findings with us. Best to stick to one reliable forum rather than pick and mix with the others. You only have to search this forum for sad stories of sick, injured and lost torts who have been kept in pairs - their keepers have learned the hard way.
Yeah it definitely seems like something more advanced and tricky to get correct. One certainly seems like the best option for now! Thank you so much for the input. Certainly don’t want any little dudes suffering because of my lack of experience!

MidwestyB

Iowa

View attachment 331133
Wow what a great idea! Adding this to my list of enclosure enspo for my future tort. How long would you say this type of enclosure will work? Before the tort outgrows it..