Aspiring Tort owner looking for enclosure advice

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Me? I don’t have one yet!
Best of luck on picking out your tort!
I still remember when I brought home my first tort before acknowledging this site.
He was in a small box with holes in it from Petsmart and was very shy, nervous, and actively scared to get out and hide! Now my little squirmy tort loves and adapted very well to the enclosure he is in now. It took 2 enclosures to find the right one for him.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
It's going to take time, money, and patience to understand everything you'll need to satisfy your tortoise.
Hopefully, you get a good substrate, hide, perfect lighting set up for your tortoise to be on a solid schedule to make him/her happy. It took me a while to figure out and adjust a few things. But with patience and time, I succeeded!

I had nights where I was annoyed by the scratching at the corners when the lights went out, I figured out that I had to adjust the substrate for borrowing (to keep warm, safe) and that my guy just did not like being on the floor. He also needed baths once a week to get him healthy and hydrated from being in the pet store.

I've had days where my tortoise was sleeping all night and day because my lighting wasn't right. It's going to take a lot of getting to know, and observation to understand your new future torts needs.

Also, prepare to spend lots of money to get things right. They are just as expensive as children! @MidwestyB

MidwestyB

Iowa
It's going to take time, money, and patience to understand everything you'll need to satisfy your tortoise.
Hopefully, you get a good substrate, hide, perfect lighting set up for your tortoise to be on a solid schedule to make him/her happy. It took me a while to figure out and adjust a few things. But with patience and time, I succeeded!

I had nights where I was annoyed by the scratching at the corners when the lights went out, I figured out that I had to adjust the substrate for borrowing (to keep warm, safe) and that my guy just did not like being on the floor. He also needed baths once a week to get him healthy and hydrated from being in the pet store.

I've had days where my tortoise was sleeping all night and day because my lighting wasn't right. It's going to take a lot of getting to know, and observation to understand your new future torts needs.

Also, prepare to spend lots of money to get things right. They are just as expensive as children! @MidwestyB
I’m horrified at myself for almost buying one on the spot because I wanted one… I’m so glad i’ve found this forum. I plan to spend months figuring this out before I jump in… there’s so much more that goes into their care than I ever thought. And I have 3 kids so that resonates!! Lol

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I’m horrified at myself for almost buying one on the spot because I wanted one… I’m so glad i’ve found this forum. I plan to spend months figuring this out before I jump in… there’s so much more that goes into their care than I ever thought. And I have 3 kids so that resonates!! Lol
Which species were you looking into buying?
If I could go back I would have absolutely taken the time to be thorough before making my purchase. Luckily, I found this website within a few weeks of purchasing my tortoise so I was to jump the gun and be quick on the judgements I had to make for my tortoise and his happiness/health.

Different species (Tortoises) require different habitats, temps, etc. I prefer greek, Mediteranean species because they are hardy and more easily maintained than other species such as sulcatas, red foots, leopards, star torts.

MidwestyB

Iowa
Which species were you looking into buying?
If I could go back I would have absolutely taken the time to be thorough before making my purchase. Luckily, I found this website within a few weeks of purchasing my tortoise so I was to jump the gun and be quick on the judgements I had to make for my tortoise and his happiness/health.

Different species (Tortoises) require different habitats, temps, etc. I prefer greek, Mediteranean species because they are hardy and more easily maintained than other species such as sulcatas, red foots, leopards, star torts.
Originally, I was looking into a Leopard, but living in the midwest and having long, brutal winters, I had to think long term and realized I wouldn’t be able to provide a suitable enclosure for a tort of that size indoors, and for most of the year outdoors. So, I’m thinking a Hermanns is my best bet? I’m still researching so i’m not totally sure yet!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wow what a great idea! Adding this to my list of enclosure enspo for my future tort. How long would you say this type of enclosure will work? Before the tort outgrows it..
It depends which species you have. The bigger torts like like leopards will outgrow that within a couple of years. My leopard was about 3 or 4 when I got him and he had to have his own adapted room straight away because he was too big for an enclosure. For the smaller species a minimum of 4 x 8 is recommended but the bigger the better. Torts are roaming creatures and need the space to do that for digestion and bone health.
I like the idea of that raised bed because it can be added to with more kits as the tort grows.
I would suggest you read the caresheets in the threads for the species you are considering and see which would best suit your circumstances.