Aspiring tortoise mom

beangus

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hello, everyone! You can call me Bean, I'm located in Utah. I'm not a tortoise owner yet but I have plans to buy one younger/smaller Sulcata tortoise and house it indoors for a couple years until I escape apartment living and have my own backyard. I have an empty tank I'm planning on using that's around 100 gallons. I'm here to do all the research I can before purchasing a tortoise to make sure I'm prepared and the tortoise will be happy and healthy - I've never had a tortoise or any reptile before so I'm starting from ground zero. Any helpful links and advice are more than welcome, thanks!

The Netherlands
Welcome to the tort forum!
I am new also.

What really helped me is tortoisetable.org or download the app. It shows which plants, flowers and weeds are safe to feed or not (with pictures). I hope it helps you too!

I also learned that the kind of substrate you use is every important, the right humidity and temperature. UVB lights too.

Also, there is also a care sheet for every type of tortoise (maybe not every, but at least a lot). Take a look there!

There is a lot more to figure out, so I wish you good luck! There are a lot of experienced tort owners out here who can tell you all the ins and outs.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Bean, and welcome to the Forum!

In the past it was advised to not use tanks, but my current way of thinking is that a tank for a young tortoise is a pretty good way of being able to make a closed enclosure. We now know that providing a moist, humid environment for baby sulcatas helps their shells to grow smoothly. So figure out a way to cover that tank to keep the warm, moist air inside.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Some people think that they get stressed out with glass sides. So if you notice he is banging on the glass you can cover the sides by wrapping about 6" so he can't see out...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That 100 gallon tank might work for a short while because you can easily find hinged, glass tops for that.
You can drop your UV tube light and heaters under the glass and make a closed chamber enclosure that will keep in warmth and moisture.

beangus

Utah
Some people think that they get stressed out with glass sides. So if you notice he is banging on the glass you can cover the sides by wrapping about 6" so he can't see out...
That's great to know! I wonder if I could hang some plants from the sides and put some along the bottom so they think they're in a lil' jungle. ?

beangus

Utah
That 100 gallon tank might work for a short while because you can easily find hinged, glass tops for that.
You can drop your UV tube light and heaters under the glass and make a closed chamber enclosure that will keep in warmth and moisture.

Thank you! My tank is a weird long size - about 16 x 64, so I might make my own cover as opposed to paying for a custom glass top. I was thinking everything would hang over the tank but making that closed chamber is brilliant, I'll definitely use that advice.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you! My tank is a weird long size - about 16 x 64, so I might make my own cover as opposed to paying for a custom glass top. I was thinking everything would hang over the tank but making that closed chamber is brilliant, I'll definitely use that advice.
Don't spend a bunch of money.
That 16" width will soon be too small.
You can do what I've done...I've used plexiglass lids with small door hinges. All held together with clear aquarium silicone glue.
Then attach the lights to the bottom of the lids, inside the enclosure. With screws.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your can convert a tank real easy. I converted a 75 gallon for my yearling. I just had wood cut to fit the top. Then I liquid nailed foam board to the bottom of the wood to protect it from moisture. I used radiant heat panel screwed into the wood.Screenshot_20200217-205037~2.png

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Your can convert a tank real easy. I converted a 75 gallon for my yearling. I just had wood cut to fit the top. Then I liquid nailed foam board to the bottom of the wood to protect it from moisture. I used radiant heat panel screwed into the wood.

That’s a really good looking enclosure.