At what age can I tell if my Sulcata is a male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
My Sulcata is about 9 months old and I'm not sure if it is a male or female. It's name is Bowser and so far I have been thinking that its a male. But someone said that one sign is to look at it's shell area by its tail. Instead of the V shape that the males should have, it's starting to look more like a U shape. But they said that I would have to wait till it's a certain age to be sure. What age is that??? :rolleyes:

If you want to see pics of him go to ........ www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise .......... there are a lot of pictures of him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
drgnfly2265 said:
My Sulcata is about 9 months old and I'm not sure if it is a male or female. It's name is Bowser and so far I have been thinking that its a male. But someone said that one sign is to look at it's shell area by its tail. Instead of the V shape that the males should have, it's starting to look more like a U shape. But they said that I would have to wait till it's a certain age to be sure. What age is that??? :rolleyes:

If you want to see pics of him go to ........ www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise .......... there are a lot of pictures of him.

It doesn't go by age, it goes by size. Usually by the time that they are about 10" from front to back in a straight line if it's a male he will "flash" you. Females are a little harder to tell. But at about 10", the males will show you a longer and fatter tail, while the female tail is short.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.