At what age/size is a juvenile tortoise safe to live outside?

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I have a 6 month old redfoot (happy half birthday Zip!), who weighs 90grams and is about 3 inches long. Would she still be considered a hatchling or is she a juvenile? She still seems awfully small to have outside in South Florida 24hrs a day. I think my reluctance is that although it's not that hot yet during the day, in the direct sunlight, my little temperature gauge gets up over 100 F. At what age are they able to regulate their heat well enough and be aware enough to move into the shade or seek out the water bowl to stay cool enough.

By way of background, a couple of years back I acquired what I was told was a 6 month old redfoot that weighed 99 grams (Indy) but was significantly larger than Zip is now. For Indy, I built an outdoor enclosure and had her living outside within a few days (in July) and was comfortable with it. Now, in comparing her to Zip, I realize that Indy was probably a year old and underweight. So now, I'm not sure when to move Zip outdoors. I had posted several months ago about Zip and how she seemed to be doing great but her plastron was soft. I took her to the vet and the shell is a bit better but I really would like to get her living outside so she gets sunlight everyday.

Any thought are appreciated. Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have a 6 month old redfoot (happy half birthday Zip!), who weighs 90grams and is about 3 inches long. Would she still be considered a hatchling or is she a juvenile? She still seems awfully small to have outside in South Florida 24hrs a day. I think my reluctance is that although it's not that hot yet during the day, in the direct sunlight, my little temperature gauge gets up over 100 F. At what age are they able to regulate their heat well enough and be aware enough to move into the shade or seek out the water bowl to stay cool enough.

By way of background, a couple of years back I acquired what I was told was a 6 month old redfoot that weighed 99 grams (Indy) but was significantly larger than Zip is now. For Indy, I built an outdoor enclosure and had her living outside within a few days (in July) and was comfortable with it. Now, in comparing her to Zip, I realize that Indy was probably a year old and underweight. So now, I'm not sure when to move Zip outdoors. I had posted several months ago about Zip and how she seemed to be doing great but her plastron was soft. I took her to the vet and the shell is a bit better but I really would like to get her living outside so she gets sunlight everyday.

Any thought are appreciated. Thanks.

You live in the most perfect place for this species....I would bet if you build a smaller outdoor area that includes areas for sunning and lots of areas of shade and hiding places then you could likely leave the tort out in that completely secure space during the daylight hours but bring indoors for now in the evenings....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like them to be 4 inches personally ( the tortoises I mean).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My 4-5 incher lives outdoors almost 24/7 now that it's warm. I use lots of plants and there is a hide box lined with hay. Most of the time the little guy stays in the box.
It only gets direct sunlight for a very small part of the day and mostly walks in the shadows. Clearly preferring indirect light.

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Florida
Thank you (all three) for the insight and advice. I will build a small fully enclosed pen (including a bottom) for her. I don't trust the iguanas in the yard. I think one dug a tunnel into Indy's enclosure last week and nearly let her out.

Here's a picture of them both.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426876671.875345.jpg

Just Zip

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426876721.683089.jpg