At what temp is shade not enough for a DT!

Honuboy

Location (City and/or State)
So-Cal
My Gopherus has ample shade and water available as well as a nice cool patch of sod. The sod has its own little sprinklers and his water has a dripper that goes off during the morning.

I have not made a burrow for him yet. I'm just wondering how long this will be fine for him before summer hits. It gets to be about 100+ on the hottest of summer days at my house. Usually not day after day heat but we do get heat waves. Today it was close to 90 degrees.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460951879.271651.jpg

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I'd build a burrow as soon as you can. Shade is okay, but going beneath the dirt is where they can really escape the heat. During even a warm day, the shade is still hot. the ground absorbs the heat. Others will chime in.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My Gopherus has ample shade and water available as well as a nice cool patch of sod. The sod has its own little sprinklers and his water has a dripper that goes off during the morning.

I have not made a burrow for him yet. I'm just wondering how long this will be fine for him before summer hits. It gets to be about 100+ on the hottest of summer days at my house. Usually not day after day heat but we do get heat waves. Today it was close to 90 degrees.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

View attachment 170692

I also would suggest that you get a burrow/man made house done for this tortoise asap. Where does the tortoise sleep at night?

Honuboy

So-Cal
He sleeps inside my house in a big chest that was modified with a door and air holes. I guess the previous owner would also hibernate him in there as well. I had the chest outside for a bit but brought it in because it gets so cold at night. My house stays around 65+.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My desert tortoises' shelter is under a mulberry tree in deep shade. It's made out of cinder blocks and seems to stay cool enough to be comfortable even on the hottest days.

Honuboy

So-Cal

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I first placed masonry caps on the ground to make a floor.

tinsley4.jpg

Masonry caps are the gray stones on top of this wall.

Then I built the shelter on top of the caps. I added a bunch of dry leaves and a bit of dirt to the floor.

Because mine is in deep shade and never gets any sun, I only have plywood on the roof.

The link you provided is a good idea, but would be even better in the shade.

This is my desert tortoises' shelter:

Desert Tortoise Shelter 4-5-14 b.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they are above ground without a cooler retreat, anything over 100 can begin to get dangerous. 90 in the shade is fine.

All gopherus should have some sort of underground retreat to escape the temperature extremes of the surface.