At what temperature should I set the thermostat for night heat.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I noticed this morning that my tortoise enclosure was at 16c. I went into the room and it was quite chilly as the weather has been getting colder. I check for temperatures at night and as soon as I wake up and for the last month its been on a steady 20c in the mornings. I have a ceremic heat emitter and a thermostat ready to go but i was wondering where I should put the third sensor cable in the enclosure and what temperature should the thermostat be at?. His enclosure is currently covered with a see through shower curtain but I will replace the shower curtain with aluminium bubble wrap the type they use for isolation also his hide where he sleeps in is made of natural slate. He is a 1 year old eastern Hermann's

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
16c (61f) at night is fine as long as the daytime temperatures within the enclosure reach activity levels each day of about 21-29c (70-84f). Eastern Hermann's are a temperate climate species that is very well adapted to a 15-20 degree temperature differential from day to night which actually encourages normal activity. What should be avoided is cool, damp temperatures at night.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
16c (61f) at night is fine as long as the daytime temperatures within the enclosure reach activity levels each day of about 21-29c (70-84f). Eastern Hermann's are a temperate climate species that is very well adapted to a 15-20 degree temperature differential from day to night which actually encourages normal activity. What should be avoided is cool, damp temperatures at night.
Should I keep the temps at 16 when the winter truly comes with the thermostat? What about the probe where should I place it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For babies, I like to let the night temp drop to about 19-20. For older ones 15-16 is fine. For both, they need to be able to warm up during the day.