At wits end.. not sure what else to try..

JumpingTortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Hernando, Ms
I purchased a Marginated Tortoise hatchling 2 weeks ago. He was eating and pooping fine until last Saturday. Something seemed off.. he wasn’t eating and was staying buried all day, Sunday. Worried, I took him to the vet and got some meds for RI. I noticed that he was straining to poop.. I upped his daily soaks to 2 a day and in Pedalyte or ever how you spell the crap.. and nothing.. tried pumpkin and he ate some.. nothing.. back to vet today for an enema... still nothing. I don’t understand. I have him on top soil, no sand, basking at 90 and cool side at 70. Humidity in the 70-80’s. UVB Light is a 10.0 OH T5. I feed him dandelion weeds, collard greens, turnip greens and some red lettuce.. calcium once a week. I know he’s going to die soon and I feel helpless.. I’ve read everything I can on constipation and impaction. He strains and strains but no poop. His urates are clear just no poop. I guess just prayers and good vibes for him.. I’m at a loss.

nicoleann2214

NY
I purchased a Marginated Tortoise hatchling 2 weeks ago. He was eating and pooping fine until last Saturday. Something seemed off.. he wasn’t eating and was staying buried all day, Sunday. Worried, I took him to the vet and got some meds for RI. I noticed that he was straining to poop.. I upped his daily soaks to 2 a day and in Pedalyte or ever how you spell the crap.. and nothing.. tried pumpkin and he ate some.. nothing.. back to vet today for an enema... still nothing. I don’t understand. I have him on top soil, no sand, basking at 90 and cool side at 70. Humidity in the 70-80’s. UVB Light is a 10.0 OH T5. I feed him dandelion weeds, collard greens, turnip greens and some red lettuce.. calcium once a week. I know he’s going to die soon and I feel helpless.. I’ve read everything I can on constipation and impaction. He strains and strains but no poop. His urates are clear just no poop. I guess just prayers and good vibes for him.. I’m at a loss.
@Tom @Yvonne G

nicoleann2214

NY
You should switch the soil for something else

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The cool side is 70.
A tortoise cannot digest food unless they are kept above 80 degrees.
How much time does your tortoise spend in the cool side?
Can you bump up the whole temperature to over 80?
Keep doing daily soaks and offer some cucumber.
Cucumber is a no-no food, but it's great at getting the poop flowing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did he have an RI? What meds did the vet give and prescribe? Did the vet address and correct the cause of the RI?

Are you soaking in straight Pedialite? I wouldn't do that. Warm water should be fine by itself. How long are you soaking and are you keeping the water warm.

What is the over night low temp?

How long was the baby with the breeder before you purchased?

How close is the HO bulb mounted?

What is the baby doing that makes you think its constipated? Straining how?

All the questions will help eliminate possibilities, or bring us closer to figuring it out.

JumpingTortoises

Hernando, Ms
Did he have an RI? What meds did the vet give and prescribe? Did the vet address and correct the cause of the RI?

Are you soaking in straight Pedialite? I wouldn't do that. Warm water should be fine by itself. How long are you soaking and are you keeping the water warm.

What is the over night low temp?

How long was the baby with the breeder before you purchased?

How close is the HO bulb mounted?

What is the baby doing that makes you think its constipated? Straining how?

All the questions will help eliminate possibilities, or bring us closer to figuring it out.

the vet said he heard some crackling so that was the reason for the meds. He is on .02 ml Enronflox injections every 3 days.. 3 total injections.

Exotic vet is the one that suggested the pedialite to soak in. The fluid is warm and he gets 3 soaks a day.. 45 mins to an hour.

75 over night temp.

Breeder had it 3 weeks before i purchased him.

HO is 12-14 inches

he’s tucking his head down into his shell then throwing his butt up in the air. Also no poop in the soakings or bedding.

JumpingTortoises

Hernando, Ms
The cool side is 70.
A tortoise cannot digest food unless they are kept above 80 degrees.
How much time does your tortoise spend in the cool side?
Can you bump up the whole temperature to over 80?
Keep doing daily soaks and offer some cucumber.
Cucumber is a no-no food, but it's great at getting the poop flowing.
He stays in the 90-80 degree range of his area

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Like? I’ve heard sand is bad, wood chips are bad, now soil is bad.. coco coir can be bad, I guess I could use paper towels but they’re probably bad
Soil shouldn't be used as a substrate for tortoises. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what toxic composted plants or toxic yard chemicals might be in it. Its also very messy and turns to mud when wet. I've gotten batches where some of the material was not 100% composted and I could make out jacaranda leaves. Jacaranda is toxic and I had to pull a piece of it out of a baby's mouth. That was the last day I used soil under a tortoise. Since we have eliminated all other possibilities, this is my best guess about your problem.

Sand causes impaction. Seen it far too many times.

Paper towels will be eaten and are also not great for their feet or for humidity.

Wood chips mold and no humidity.

I've never heard coir is bad. They will occasionally eat it if they are sick, to if their diet is grossly lacking in fiber, but other than that, I've heard of and experienced no problem with it. Coir is my substrate of choice for baby Testudo or baby desert tortoises.

I switch to fine grade orchid bark when they read about 3-4 inches. All other species are started and kept on fine grade orchid bark at all sizes and ages until they move outside permanently. At that point they live on the dirt outside.

After typing it occurred to me: Are you using sphagnum moss in the hide or anywhere in the enclosure?

JumpingTortoises

Hernando, Ms
Soil shouldn't be used as a substrate for tortoises. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what toxic composted plants or toxic yard chemicals might be in it. Its also very messy and turns to mud when wet. I've gotten batches where some of the material was not 100% composted and I could make out jacaranda leaves. Jacaranda is toxic and I had to pull a piece of it out of a baby's mouth. That was the last day I used soil under a tortoise. Since we have eliminated all other possibilities, this is my best guess about your problem.

Sand causes impaction. Seen it far too many times.

Paper towels will be eaten and are also not great for their feet or for humidity.

Wood chips mold and no humidity.

I've never heard coir is bad. They will occasionally eat it if they are sick, to if their diet is grossly lacking in fiber, but other than that, I've heard of and experienced no problem with it. Coir is my substrate of choice for baby Testudo or baby desert tortoises.

I switch to fine grade orchid bark when they read about 3-4 inches. All other species are started and kept on fine grade orchid bark at all sizes and ages until they move outside permanently. At that point they live on the dirt outside.

After typing it occurred to me: Are you using sphagnum moss in the hide or anywhere in the enclosure?
No.. I’ve heard it’s good with humidity but I’m afraid he would eat it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What brand of orchid bark?
Any brand. I buy it in bulk at local garden centers. OSH used to sell it in 1cu.ft. bags and that stuff was clean and super good. I'm told some HomeDepots have it now, but be sure it isn't a "mix". You can buy it at the pet store, but its expensive that way. I've been using this one for the last few years:
Orchid Bark.JPG

And I get my coco coir in big 10 pound blocks from these guys:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I’m nervous to forget him.. and I don’t want the water to get cold
LOL! Don't take it so literally. Of course you're going to keep an eye on him. Here's what I meant by that: Place the tortoise in a bowl with tall sides that he can't climb out of and add enough water to come up to the middle of his sides. Put the bowl with the tortoise in it back into his enclosure, near, but not directly under the light. Just leave him in there for a long time. An hour isn't too long. Scrambling around trying to get out always makes them poop.

JumpingTortoises

Hernando, Ms
Any brand. I buy it in bulk at local garden centers. OSH used to sell it in 1cu.ft. bags and that stuff was clean and super good. I'm told some HomeDepots have it now, but be sure it isn't a "mix". You can buy it at the pet store, but its expensive that way. I've been using this one for the last few years:
View attachment 292332

And I get my coco coir in big 10 pound blocks from these guys:
Thank you! I found this at the local Home Depot. It looks like there’s nothing but bark in it, no fertilizers or anything. I can’t find coco coir around here so I will just Amazon it I bumped his heat up to 95-100 on the hot end. I’m hoping this is just a temperature issue and maybe things will get flowing again. CD6BBFA0-AE9C-43F4-BBC0-23CCA8ACC881.png

JumpingTortoises

Hernando, Ms
LOL! Don't take it so literally. Of course you're going to keep an eye on him. Here's what I meant by that: Place the tortoise in a bowl with tall sides that he can't climb out of and add enough water to come up to the middle of his sides. Put the bowl with the tortoise in it back into his enclosure, near, but not directly under the light. Just leave him in there for a long time. An hour isn't too long. Scrambling around trying to get out always makes them poop.
Lol, sorry.. I’m sort of a helicopter mom with my reptiles and water where they can’t get out.. like a hawk. But I will try this this afternoon. I let him rest since he soaked for over an hour this morning. He pooed a tiny bit but nothing like he should have. Thank you for the advice

Myakoda

AZ.
The orchid bark is the best as Tom recommends. I ordered organic orchid bark from Amazon. Mya loves it!