Attacked Tortoises Made it!! (with pics)

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
So, back in November, two of my yearling redfoots (Pickles and Hiccup) were attacked and sustained injuries.

They both had the front of their front legs eaten to the bone (it was awful seeing bone exposed), and injuries to their shell. Hiccup's shell damage was much worse than Pickles.

Anyway, they were both treated at the vet here, who did bandage changes, and administered antibiotics for several weeks, as well as pain meds and fluids at the beginning.

I'm happy to report that we just had our last vet visit and both tortoises are doing AMAZING. We're done with injections now. I'm so thankful they both recovered (although they are a little deformed now).

We have narrowed the predator to either a possum (which we see around the yard), or a cat....mostly because of the placements of the shell injuries, it appears the predator has sharp canine teeth (so, doesn't look like a rat, which is what I suspected).

Anyway, I'm still keeping them, as well as out healthy hatching, inside. We are hiring a friend (and fellow tortoise keeper), to build a predator-proof enclosure, but it will still be several weeks before it's complete.

I will end off with a few pics (some were posted on my original thread, when the first one was attacked).

After Pickles's first vet visit:

After Hiccup's first vet visit: (I didn't get pics of the wounds before being bandaged...my mind was preoccupied)

Pickles finally eating (he wouldn't eat much at the beginning):

Hiccup ignoring his food:

Pickles all healed up...no more bandages (they have 2 hours of supervised outdoor time daily):

Hiccup all healed up...he's a trooper, and although his injuries looked worse, he had a fighting attitude....never seemed like anything happened to him, and he uses both legs perfectly (even though on is a little stumpy):

This is after his first long soak since the injuries:

AND, here's a couple pictures of Chomper...our little guy that is healthy and beautiful:

And Belle....our big beauty (she's my 12 year old rescue):

Belle eating weeds in her yard (it's much more lush than it looks in the picture):

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad to hear and see they have recovered and are doing good. Hope your new up coming enclosure keeps the nasty bugger that did this out.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks. And me too. I'm actually scared to even try it out. My friend who's building it, has had great luck with his....he's a real perfectionist as well. I have a feeling I'll still be bringing them in at night.

Volksvegan

Ontario, Canada
So glad they pulled through, especially with such serious injuries - they're fighters!
Bringing them in at night once the enclosure is ready might be a good plan, if even just for your peace of mind.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So glad you made this thread! So often we get the first part of the story, but never how the story ended. Amazing to see how Hiccup especially has improved and gotten on with his life.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thank you. Yes...they're going amazing. And I agree...I'm pretty sure I'll still take them in at night, for peace of mind.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Great new's! You took good care of your baby! ❤️❤️

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks! Pickles and Hiccup are missing all their front toes, and Hiccup is missing most of the his red spots, but they're still beautiful. <3

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
what a great story, I'm glad I read the whole thing. Thank you for sharing it.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Heart warming. Just Heart warming...............

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I remember these guys.

Thanks for the update. By the way, there is nothing wrong with a life of a full day outside in a predator proof pen and a safe secure night indoors ;)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, what a devoted tort mom you are! Thanks for the update and pictures. Inspiring story.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Wow! great story! thank you so much for sharing!

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I'm just so thankful everything turned out the way it did. :)

Team Gomberg said:
I remember these guys.

Thanks for the update. By the way, there is nothing wrong with a life of a full day outside in a predator proof pen and a safe secure night indoors ;)

.....that's exactly how it's going to be. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sleep, knowing they were outside...even in a "predator proof" enclosure.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Fantastic recovery story :) :) great job by the vets, and most importantly, YOU! It must have been heartbreaking to see them wrapped in all those bandages, but they look like tough survivors now :)

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Oh...it was awful!! Seeing the bone was scary....and honestly, Hiccup looked so bad, I didn't think he was going to make it. Funny thing is, he healed more quickly because he's more of a fighter (I've actually had him separated from the other hatchlings for a long time, because he's a bully....a REAL fighter...guess it came in handy with the attack).

When I saw him all bandaged up, I couldn't help but to cry. I'm just really amazed with how the vets were here. This was their first time treating tortoises, and they did a wonderful job!!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so happy to hear that your little ones recovered from their injuries. :)